1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sept. 11 - Never forget to save on a new mattress

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by dixiehack, Sep 9, 2016.

1. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

What I remember particularly is that every person on the Herald editorial staff, news, sports, business, the food writers, everybody, came into the office without being asked to get to work on the story.

Ace likes this.
  2. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

I make a point to watch the documentary made by those French brothers on 9/11 every year. I'm debating at what age I should make my kids join in the traditional viewing. I hate having to show them just how much evil there is in the world.

As for that ad in the OP, they can't even feign ignorance on that. It was as deliberate as it was mind-numbingly stupid.

3. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

If they ran a Pearl Harbor-themed ad today, people would still be outraged. If they did it in 1956, they'd be lucky to avoid arson.

4. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

I dunno. "Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor?" got one of the biggest laughs in a movie comedy released in 1978.

5. OscarMadison

OscarMadison Well-Known Member

I remember checking books out of the school library about children involved in the French resistance movement in WWII with intros that mentioned the "twenty/twenty-five/thirty years since the war." It seemed like an eternity ago to twelve-year-old me.

Prior to that, my father, who was Jewish, asked that I not be required to read "The Diary of a Young Girl" until he felt he could explain why someone would murder six million of our tribe. I still have mixed feelings about his decision. In context, my parents were news junkies and Chet and David and Uncle Walter were a regular part of the family's media diet until one outlet ran Nick Ut's picture of Phan Ti Kim Phuc (the "Napalm Girl") and it evidently rattled me enough that my space and science-mad parents found other ways to teach us about the world.

So I understand why my father did what he did. And I thought hard about it when my nephew was afraid to go to school or go to the mailbox and when children snuck out of bed and called the youth crisis center where I worked at the time to talk about being scared to go to school, being terrified that Mom or Dad had to fly to Dallas for their job or go to downtown Nashville where there were National Guard personnel standing on every corner around the government buildings.

We have it good compared to most of the rest of the world, and yet we're still stymied, okay, I'm still stymied about the best way to tell a child evil exists.

6. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

World War II was over in four years, though. By the time I, and I'm assuming you're about my age give or take (I was born in 1976), were treating it this way the wounds had had a generation to heal.
    We're essentially still fighting the same war that started on 9/11, and probably will be for a long time to come.

7. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

I can't summon any outrage at these dumb dickholes. Just not worth the energy.

OscarMadison and HanSenSE like this.
  8. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I'm with this. Just puzzlement that they thought it was a good idea. Maybe any publicity is good publicity for mattresses, too.

OscarMadison likes this.
  9. Dick Whitman

They are stupid young people. Don't overthink it.

OscarMadison likes this.
  10. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

But do you think any adults in 1956 showed up at costume conventions dressed like flaming ships? Good Lord.

11. Dick Whitman

No, just blackface.

OscarMadison likes this.
  12. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

I don't recall any Pearl Harbor Days Sales. We are bombing prices out of existence. Nothing says SURPRISE like Sushi. Fight the Yellow Menace, buy a Ford.

HanSenSE likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted