1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sepp Blatter's anti-MLS comments

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by wicked, Dec 31, 2012.

1. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

The NHL tweaks its schedule by pushing the playoffs farther back into June, which is a fairly dead time. MLS doing the same would mean pushing the schedule back into the college and pro football season that this theoretical schedule is aimed at avoiding.

Also the time commitment for an NHL player to play in the Olympics is typically 2-3 weeks. The time commitment for the World Cup is more like 6-8 weeks.

2. TrooperBari

TrooperBari Well-Known Member

This is largely true, but like other news outlets AJ is not without its flaws. It still ultimately dances to the Qatari emir's tune, and it did not cover itself in glory when the Arab Spring swept into Bahrain -- a regime with which Qatar's rulers are closely linked. I'd watch AJ before just about any of the outlets I can get on cable now, though.

3. Norrin Radd

Norrin Radd New Member

So they do that every four years.

I have no problem with that.

Besides, it's not like MLS is chock full of stars for various national teams. Even the U.S.' best is basically a bunch of Euro-based guys and Donovan.

4. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

The problem with El Paso is that, yes, the city is large, but that's almost all there is in the metro. In fact, Albuquerque is a bigger media market. There are very few suburbs on the U.S. side and the rest of the population is on the Mexican side of the river. With the drug violence in Juarez, there won't be fans crossing over in droves for games.

5. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

World Cup ends in the middle of July. If by some miracle, the US or any other team with an MLS player makes it that far, they still will be back for the playoffs. Most likely, it is a one month or so disruption in a league where at least half the teams make the playoffs

6. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Blatter's right.

7. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

No, not at all.

8. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

If players in your league are playing to get into a better league, your league is a minor league.

9. Which means the English Premier League is a minor league to La Liga, according to your logic.

10. Shoeless Joe

Shoeless Joe Active Member

By that logic Pele was a minor leaguer his entire career ::)

11. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

I'm confused. I thought it was a minor league if you made more money than the players you cover.

12. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

If a journalist who works for the Washington Post is working to get to the New York Times, then the WaPo is a minor-league paper, right?

Draft saved Draft deleted