1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sepinwall's "Best TV of the '00s" List

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Double Down, Dec 11, 2009.

1. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

I DO have the entire Freaks/Geeks
    run on reserve at local library.
    Whether of not I'm thankful remains to be seen.

2. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

How so? If you tell someone you'll watch it because they think you'll love it, and you're willing to try, why would that be funny to you?

3. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Surprised that Rescue Me wasn't on any of those lists.

And I really, really, really want to see The Wire. Never seen an episode. Had Season 1 from Netflix, but I never got around to watching it and the wife really wanted to see what was next on the list, so we sent it back. She watched one episode and said she didn't like it. We have similar tastes in TV. That worries me. It's back on the Netflix list. Maybe I'll get around to it this spring or summer.

4. imjustagirl

See if there's anyone you know who will lend you entire seasons at a time. I enjoyed it more when I could watch 6-7 eps straight through rather than watching 2-3 then having to wait two days to see more.

5. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

You have to grit your teeth and resolve that you'll see Season One through.

Some people whine about Season Two, but it's fine.

Thing really begins to take off in Season Three . . . an observation which
    doesn't make Seasons One or Two less than worthwhile, on their own merits.

I like Deadwood and Mad Men better, but it's real, real close.

6. JackReacher

I wish I had time to watch 6-7 episodes in one sitting. I used to. Not so much anymore. There are actually things to do in DC, unlike podunk Alabama. :)

7. JR

JR Well-Known Member

It's not ha-ha funny, it's just quirky funny.

Usually if people don' t care for a show or don't "get it" that sentiment usually kicks in well before 20 episodes. I

And I'm not sure what's "to get"? It's a story about people and institutions.

8. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Ryan, you have to give it at least three epioses before you scuttle it. It takes that long to figure out who the various characters are and how they relate to each other.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  9. imjustagirl

That's what it is to me. To everyone else I know, it's transcendent storytelling that's a parallel to Greek mythology and has deeper meanings and changed their lives. I wish I got that from it.

Hell, I wish I got that from anything. People much smarter than me talk about The Wire like it's redefined life as they know it.

10. JackReacher

Oh, I will. I'm much more patient than the wife. I'm pretty excited about it, actually.

You know what else is weird? I've never seen an episode of the Sopranos, either.

I need premium cable. My raise kicks in next week, so I may just spring for it sooner than later.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  11. JackReacher

I feel the same way when people tell me they don't get Sunny. Oh wait. I've never heard anyone say that. :)

12. JackReacher

Amazon has The Wire, Complete Series for $122. Is that good?

Draft saved Draft deleted