1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sepinwall's "Best TV of the '00s" List

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Double Down, Dec 11, 2009.

1. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

It took me forever to get The Wire. Watched a couple of episodes here and there and it never clicked for me - just didn't engage.
    Gave it another chance on Netflix - used the captions (that helped a lot), still needed to stop and go back here and there to catch something, but I'm glad I did. Once I got the rhythm of dialogue, how scenes were cut, it was a lot easier to "get."
    But now, I sometimes wonder if it could even live up to it's own hype. It's a great show, but one of the things that made it so special is that it was like a great restaurant or bar that hadn't been discovered yet.

2. HC

HC Well-Known Member

I can honestly say that I was shocked that none of my colleagues at the theatre knew this show. I brought in the DVD's for all 5 seasons and pretty much converted the entire cast.

3. ArnoldBabar

ArnoldBabar Active Member

I agree. It's not cool to say Friends is/was a great show, but it really is/was. The writing is good and sometimes rises to great.

And Sepinwall rules. I can offer not even a quibble with the top half of his drama list, and putting Firefly at the top of the short-lived shows list is spot on. If you're looking for a great show you've never seen, rent Firefly. It's briliant.

4. JR

JR Well-Known Member

IJAG, how may episodes have you watched?

It's a bit like reading a Dostoyevsky novel.

Everything will eventually make sense. Honestly

I've watched Season One three times and every time I watch it, I learn something new

5. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

I'm halfway through season 2. And I'm doing it with Zeke as my study group leader. I still don't get it. And don't care.

6. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

I never got into Friends. I'm not saying that I never laughed, but most of the time, I thought it was C- writing and acting.

And I like that Sepinwall showed love for Gilmore Girls. Just an amazing show (Luke's secret daughter and the marriage to Christopher aside). The performances by Bishop, Hermann, Weil and especially Lauren Graham (how she was never even nominated for an Emmy is inexplicable) were fantastic.

7. JR

JR Well-Known Member

You don't get it and you don't care and you're halfway through season 2?

That's funny.

8. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

I didn't like Season 2 all that much. Those dock guys were boring.

The fourth season will break your heart, it is so good.

9. HC

HC Well-Known Member

I just rewatched the 2nd season and loved it. Much better the second time around for me.

10. StormSurge

StormSurge Active Member

I'm enjoying the entire run even more on the second go-round. Less time trying to figure out who's who.

11. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

No love for "According to Jim"?

12. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

The wrong brother died.

Draft saved Draft deleted