1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sepinwall's "Best TV of the '00s" List

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Double Down, Dec 11, 2009.

1. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

http://sepinwall.blogspot.com/2009/12/best-of-00s-in-tv.html

I thought he did a pretty solid job. There is a reason he's the best person writing about television in virtually any medium.

I still think that 30 Rock is maybe the most overrated show out there -- and I say this as a fan and regular viewer -- but I'm trying to come up with a more major quibble with the comedies/drams sections and I can't.

2. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

Onion's AV Club did something similar.

They didn't up the comedies and dramas though

http://www.avclub.com/articles/the-best-tv-series-of-the-00s,35256/

Without having read every word Sepinwall did, I don't see a lot of variation.

3. farmerjerome

farmerjerome Active Member

I'm surprised that Nip/Tuck didn't make it on the "Seasons" list.

4. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

I know a lot of people don't like "My Name is Earl," but I thought it was consistently very good. Also, whether under imports or seasons, Season 1 of "The Tournament" should be on there. Season 2 sucked rocks, but fortunately it was never shown in the U.S. But season one is the greatest, most painful look ever at youth sports culture.

And I can't believe Sepinwall left out "Futurama." My 12-year-old son, a Futurama addict, will be quite upset. And that "The Colbert Report" was left off, too.

But all in all, pretty solid lists.

5. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

I think "The Wire" is destined to be the TV equivalent of "It's a Wonderful Life" for me. The classic show that I will somehow never get around to watching.

6. Bodie_Broadus

Bodie_Broadus Active Member

Never seen a single episode of Lost, Mad Men or Deadwood. But I love West Wing, The Wire, The Shield and The Sopranos.

7. zimbabwe

zimbabwe Active Member

If you liked "The Sopranos" and "The Wire," you'll like "Deadwood."

That's the holy trinity of series' for me.

(Rewatching the entire 'Wire' now, vis a vis Netflix.)

8. Trey Beamon

Trey Beamon Active Member

Same here. Like countless other shows, I just haven't sought it out.

I'm well-versed when it comes to current music, but am soooooo out of the loop with TV and film. Hell, I think fucking "Superbad" was the last movie I saw in the theaters.

9. Bodie_Broadus

Bodie_Broadus Active Member

I'll give Deadwood a look. A friend of mine said the constant usage of cocksucker is a bit much, but I may have to check it out.

10. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

I liked Sopranos and The Wire, and never warmed to Deadwood. Thought Rome was superior.

11. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

Weird... I couldn't find a word about Modern Family from Sepinwall, but oodles of type for Recreation and other shows

12. ifilus

ifilus Well-Known Member

http://sepinwall.blogspot.com/search/label/Modern%20Family

Draft saved Draft deleted