1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Separation of church and state apparently doesn't apply to everyone

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by hondo, Jul 27, 2007.

1. jgmacg

jgmacg Guest

I'm happy to spin the prayer wheel, or set ablaze the various sacrifices, invoke the mojo, light the candle, or chant or mumble whatever incantations might free Yawn from the grip of his heartbreaking spinelessness.

2. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

i almost think the douchebaggedness is genetic.

but we still can spin the wheel.

3. D-Backs Hack

D-Backs Hack Guest

The ignorance in this post is breathtaking.

When If you make it to seventh-grade civics, you'll learn differently.

4. No, it's not, especially not if you read the writings of the people who put the First Amendment together, and who argued for its adoption in Philadelphia and in the amendment process thereafter.
    It was designed, first and foremost, to remove from this country forever the possibility of the kind of sectarian strife that had been at the root of 500 years of European butchery. Read Madison on the effects of the clergy on secular politics. (He didn't even want a congressional chaplain, but submitted on separation-of-powers grounds.) Separating religion from secular politics is the primary reason that the First Amendment exists, and it is the basis for the doctrine of non-establishment in the first place.

5. HC

HC Well-Known Member

“The government of the United States is not in any sense founded on the Christian Religion”
    - George Washington

6. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

I have a question: would school officials in a Muslim-dominated country set aside time or a room for Christians to pray?

7. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

“ The general principles upon which the Fathers achieved independence were the general principals of Christianity… I will avow that I believed and now believe that those general principles of Christianity are as eternal and immutable as the existence and attributes of God.”
    --- John Adams

See I can do that too....

8. zagoshe

"In the beginning of the contest with Britain, when we were sensible of danger, we had daily prayers in this room for Divine protection. Our prayers, Sir, were heard, and they were graciously answered… do we imagine we no longer need His assistance?”
    --- Ben Franklin

9. zagoshe

“God who gave us life gave us liberty. And can the liberties of a nation be thought secure when we have removed their only firm basis, a conviction in the minds of the people that these liberties are a gift from God? That they are not to be violated but with His wrath? Indeed I tremble for my country when I reflect that God is just, and that His justice cannot sleep forever.”
    --- Thomas Jefferson

10. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

What you call ignorance is merely something that is a different interpretation of what you think. But that's the only argument you and people like Fens can muster. Here's your chain of logic: "You disagree with me!! You're wrong!! You're dumb!!"

11. zagoshe

Hondo -- you forgot "it is different, it is just different because I say so....."

12. jgmacg

jgmacg Guest

Writing to Jefferson on the 5th of May, 1817, [John] Adams, giving expression to the matured conviction of eighty-two eventful years, declares.

"This would be the best of all possible worlds if there were no religion in it."

To this radical declaration [Thomas] Jefferson replied:

"If by religion, we are to understand sectarian dogmas, in which no two of them agree, then your exclamation on that hypothesis is just, 'that this would be the best of worlds if there were no religion in it' " (Works, Vol. iv., p. 301).

Draft saved Draft deleted