1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Separation of church and state apparently doesn't apply to everyone

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by hondo, Jul 27, 2007.

1. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion

First Amendment to the Constitution.

2. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Actually, that means Congress cannot establish a state-sanctiond religion. Doesn't mean you can't practice your religion in a public setting, such as a school or town hall. Or at least that's what I think.

3. JR

JR Well-Known Member

It's ironic that I'm a Canadian arguing this.

What it means--from what I've read anyway-- is that any government supported institution--public schools and town halls come to mind---cannot promote one relgion over another.

It seems to me that it's pretty clear that nailing the Ten Commandments on a court house wall or having a prayer before a high school football game is in clear violation of the Constitution. But maybe I'm missing something.

And I find the whole idea of a prayer before a football game offensive as hell.

4. Breakyoself

Breakyoself Member

that has also been my understanding - showing no favorite of any religion. either promote them all, or none. since no one would agree to all, it's none by default.

5. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

And I find the whole idea of a prayer before a football game offensive as hell.
    [/quote]
    And establishing separate rooms with prayer rugs and foot baths in public schools is no different from nailing the 10 commandments to a wall. And the ACLU should be going after those situations, the same way they go full bore after anything to do with Christianity.

6. Breakyoself

Breakyoself Member

is that just at the colleges, or in grade schools as well?

7. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Hondo, you really need to learn how the quote function works.

Prove to me that the ACLU goes "full bore after anything do do with Christianity".

I think there's a huge difference between giving members of a religion an opportunity to pray according to their faith (non-demonational chapels or Muslim prayer rooms) and forcing several thousand people to listen to or recite a prayer before a sporting event.

You can pray to whatever god you might like but She doesn't have a role to play in football games.

8. joe_schmoe

joe_schmoe Active Member

Most people say it's semantics, but no, this is not separation. This is an establishment (or non-establihment) clause, not a separation clause.

9. Yawn

Yawn New Member

You are the type who takes the word "promote" and makes more twists with it than a pretzel.
    The law prevents the national governing body from sanctioning a national religion. It does not prohibit states from doing it; in fact, some states have explicit religious affirmations.

10. Diabeetus

Diabeetus Active Member

Pastor, in case you pop back on this thread, blue font is used when you want to convey sarcasm. Reading your posts, I don't think you want to, so you might consider that in future posts ;)

11. jgmacg

jgmacg Guest

Stiffening his cytoplasm against godless rebuke, the amoeba parses the most vexing elements of theology, federalism and constitutional philosophy! That's one versatile pseudopod!

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  12. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

jgm - will you join me in prayer to ask jeebus to help yawn shake this stupid bug that's been taking its toll on him the past year or so?

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
Draft saved Draft deleted