1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Separation of church and state apparently doesn't apply to everyone

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by hondo, Jul 27, 2007.

1. Pastor

Pastor Active Member

Right, just like "Winter Break" when Christians run to church to pray, the non-Christians say, "I'll go skiing." So, during a school day, students get a thirty minute break, the Muslim kids go perform their boring prayer while non-Muslims play stick ball, tag, etc.

It is the same concept.

While I do agree with this belief, I think the ACLU's stance is that the school shouldn't be promoting prayer of any kind. It is slightly different.

2. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

So if some kid folds his hands and says grace over his lunch, you've got a problem with that?

3. T2

T2 Member

By the way, "interdenominational" doesn't mean "including all religions." It generally means "including all Protestant Christian denominations, though not under the control of any one of them." A Methodist or Baptist or Presbyterian would probably feel at home in an interdenominational chapel; a Mormon or a Quaker might; but a Catholic or a Jew or a Muslim or a Buddhist probably would not.

4. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I thought "they" hated our freedom?

5. Beaker

Beaker Active Member

This is a tough one, but I think it's ok as long the public schools in question do not mandate prayer or offically sanction the religion.

And hockeybeat is right, it's really not an issue, unless, if like some people here, you are completely paranoid and believe that Muslims are trying to convert America. Clearly, Muslims in this country on the whole are a moderate minority group just trying to make their way.

And for sure, I've never seen any "interdenominational" churches that have included anything other than multiple Protestant denominations.

6. Yawn

Yawn New Member

Ladies and gentlemen, your left-wing power organization has spoken.

7. Yawn

Yawn New Member

Just found this photo of an ACLU "get healthy" meeting....

[​IMG]

8. Beaker

Beaker Active Member

Ladies and gentlemen, your right-wing blowhard has spoken.

9. jgmacg

jgmacg Guest

Harsh words from the invertebrate!

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  10. Yawn

Yawn New Member

If so, I'm cooling all the hot, miserable air flow in here.

11. jgmacg

jgmacg Guest

What a great and gracious gasbag he is!

12. joe_schmoe

joe_schmoe Active Member

Can someone please find me the document which establishes a separation of church and state our country?

Draft saved Draft deleted