1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Separation of church and state apparently doesn't apply to everyone

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by hondo, Jul 27, 2007.

1. Pastor

Pastor Active Member

The nondenominational chapels are Christian. They aren't "all religion" chapels. They are Christian chapels. How would you feel if the schools instead built nondenominational Muslim temples, tore down the Christian chapels and told Christians, "Hey, if you want to pray, you go there."

Christians do not need a special recess to pray. And last time I checked, they were already given off Christmas, which I thought was a Christian holiday, unless you want to contend this as well.

Public grade schools aren't building prayer rooms for Muslims, Universities (which are public) are. There is a difference.

2. Ashy Larry

Ashy Larry Active Member

I don't have a problem with the colleges, it's public schools setting aside special recess time for Muslim prayer.

does anyone know how long the prayers generally last? Is there certain prayers that need to be done each day? are we talking 10 minutes, or an hour? I'm just curious....even if its 60 seconds I don't agree with whats going on with the San Diego schools.

3. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

Like I said, this is a non-issue unless you are a paranoid idiot who thinks that Muslims are trying to bring down America, one college at a time.

4. Pastor

Pastor Active Member

Do you think schools should be closed Christmas like they currently are or should the rules change and we open them up again?

Recess is recess. If you schedule the time during a period when some Muslims want to pray, no big deal. Those other students, the non-Muslims, can play kick ball if they want. No biggie.

5. jgmacg

jgmacg Guest

Agree with F_B that if the grade school pushes for an extra recess to accommodate Muslim prayer, the ACLU will likely sue. And likely win.

As to the prayer rugs and foot baths in Muslim facilities at the colleges: do the non-denominational chapels have pews?

6. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

First of all, I should be allowed an opinion without being called names. But stooping to your level, I would say that's the pot calling the kettle black. Shadows don't scare me near as much as someone daring to disagree with you appears to scare you. I challenge you to find one post that would label me a racist.

And by definition (you know, the kind you look up in a dictionary, in case you continue to be challenged by plain English), interdenominational should be good enough for any religion. That's why they're called interdenominational.

7. Ashy Larry

Ashy Larry Active Member

But are the non-Muslims also getting an extra recess? And yes.....schools should be closed for "Winter vacation"....they are not closed for Christmas, I believe the ACLU made sure that distinction was made.

Honestly...I'm not that worked up over it, and have zero issue with whats going on at the colleges. It'll get resolved....most likely the school district will be sued and the practive will be ended.

And a month or so after that someone will walk into that school with a bomb strapped to their chest......

8. Pastor

Pastor Active Member

No. There is one recess. Muslims are choosing to use this recess time for prayer while non-Muslims are using it for kick ball and the like. If I was in school and they said "We are adding an extra recess" I would have been excited. Let the Muslims go pray, I'll go outside and play tag.

Yes, it is called Winter Break now, but it is and was for Christmas. I doubt anyone really doesn't recognize this as such.

9. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Cool. Then all the interdenominational churches have to do is take out the pews, install areas for the washing of feet, mandate head coverings and install a screen to separate the male and female worshipers.

I assume you have no problem with that?

10. Ashy Larry

Ashy Larry Active Member

OK....I quickly read the article and took it as an extra "recess" only for the Muslim students to pray...I pictured the teacher saying, ok kids........it's 1:00pm, all non-Muslims open your math books to lessen 12, all Muslims please go and pray. :)

and it's Winter break......no matter how it's recognized. And it's apples and oranges with this issue. Schools have vacations.....usually every 2-3 months, so late December works out perfectly.....it give the kids a chance to enjoy winter.

11. NoOneLikesUs

NoOneLikesUs Active Member

Praying of any kind doesn't belong in public schools. That should be the ACLU's stance.

12. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

I don't fear argument or discussion, as long as there is real thought behind it. You don't add real thought to your points of view. You just parrot ultraconservative, ultrachristian garbage without thinking about the world at large. More to the point, the interdenominational chapels, for the most part, were built for Christians. If I were a non-Christian and was told, "You have to worship there," I might feel like my religious beliefs were being slighted.

Draft saved Draft deleted