1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Separation of church and state apparently doesn't apply to everyone

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by hondo, Jul 27, 2007.

1. Cansportschick

Cansportschick Active Member

I am waiting for the Quebec debate to start...part of Quebec history is the separation of church and state.

2. HC

HC Well-Known Member

I think that if the Christian faith required one to pray at particular times of the day they would be justified in asking for the same thing.

3. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

It's immaterial whether or not Christians are required to pray. The question is how accommodating would public schools be to allow that? In looking at past experiences, it seems highly doubtful.

4. Nothing stops Christians from praying in public schools. Screaming to Jesus out loud in bio class is disruptive, and very likely will get you removed, but that's not a constitutional violation.
    Public schools cannot, however, organize that prayer, mandate that prayer, or allow their facilities to be used for sectarian gatherings of any kind. Which is why, I think the extra-recess piece of this story will fail when someone sues. And any piece that quotes a loon like Daniel Pipes about how there's a conspiracy to make us all acquiesce to living under Islamic law is a bit, well, inusufficient in its fact-checking.

5. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Just because you disagree with Daniel Pipes doesn't change the facts of the issue. He probably thinks you don't have all your marbles either, and I would agree.

6. jgmacg

jgmacg Guest

7. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

Anyone who thinks that there is a concerted effort to force Americans to worship Islam is either an idiot or believes their own bullshit.

8. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

Hockey...isn't there, like everything else in life, a middle ground here? Some of us can see a very possible double standard here without thinking there's some great Muslim conspiracy here.

9. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

I don't see a double standard. I see a paranoid, racist idiot starting yet another anti-Muslim thread because he's scared of his own shadow.

Every college in this country has a nondenominational chapel for students to worship. Why is it a big deal that some colleges are setting aside rooms for Muslims?

10. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

We're not talking solely about colleges, hockey. We're talking about schools in general, especially public schools.

11. SixToe

SixToe Well-Known Member

Why can't Muslims use the nondenominational chapel instead of having separate facilities?

When Christians are allowed a special recess to pray, cool. Until then the ACLU is a bunch of hypocrites.

12. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Yeah, that'll work. Then the Christian kids will have to take off their shoes and wash their feet before entering the non-denominational chapel.

I can just imagine the reaction then.

Draft saved Draft deleted