1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Separation of church and state apparently doesn't apply to everyone

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by hondo, Jul 27, 2007.

1. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

http://www.usatoday.com/news/nation/2007-07-25-muslim-special-treatment-from-schools_N.htm

And the ACLU, which usually sues public schools for prayers before football kickoffs or graduations at light speed, seems to be wimping out here when it comes to Muslims. Gotta love the irony. And the ACLU guy saying there the difference between a prayer rug/foot bath and a crucifix is murkey? Give me a freaking break.

2. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

Gotta agree with Hondo on this one.

3. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

Considering that all colleges have a non-denominational chapel so students can worship, this is really a non-story. Unless you think that every Muslim is trying to bring down America one day at a time.

4. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

There is a different between putting in foot baths for Muslims to use if they want and erecting a cross or putting up the 10 commandments. One is a tool the others are state-sanctioned religious symbols.

This country has a history or working with religious customs.

Creating an extra recess so Muslims kids can pray if they want is not a church-state issue.

Creating a recess and telling everyone to go pray would be.

5. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

I agree with the principle of what you're saying, Ace, but I've also heard loud screaming anytime there's an overt display or accomodation for Christian religions. Even the non-religious moment of silence they do at Texas high school football games draws criticism.

6. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

No one is preventing Christians from praying whenver they want, AA.

7. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

But if they asked for a separate room and an extra time during a "recess" to pray, and it was granted, the ACLU would be screaming and suing to high heaven. And you know it.

8. PeteyPirate

PeteyPirate Guest

Based on the article, I don't have a problem with the foot baths and the dedicated spaces for Muslim prayer. This to me is no different than having a chapel on campus, which is not unusual.

I do have a problem with creating a recess for Muslim students to pray. I think the policy should be to allow them to be excused from class when it is time for them to pray. By the way, hondo, the ACLU stated that it is waiting to see the school's finalized policy on this before deciding whether to sue. I think they will sue the elementary school, but I don't think there is a case against the universities.

9. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

Not talking about that. But what if a Christian student group asked for a recess during the school day to pray. How accommodating do you think people would be then? And what about the backlash?

10. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

It's a non-issue because Christians don't require such things to pray.

11. FDP is spot on.
    I think someone will sue on some aspect of this --probably the extra recess period -- and win.
    Of course, the next time some idiot puts up a two-ton 10 Commandments rock on the lawn of a federal court, and the ACLU (rightly) objects, hondo will be right with them.

12. Pastor

Pastor Active Member

I am very much a fan of separation of church/mosque/temple and state. However, if the school says, "There will be an additional recess time, do as you please" chances are I'm playing kick ball. The Muslim kids are probably also playing kick ball.

If the school says that all students are required to pray, well, then we have a problem.

The ACLU hasn't seemed to adjust the winter break in schools which comes between Christmas and New Year's.

The footbaths at the universities sounds like the non-demoninational Christian churches that also exist. Neither of which I like. But, if you are going to have a Christian church sitting on your property, you can't then complain that Muslims are asking for a room to exercise their faith.

Draft saved Draft deleted