1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Separating the fanboy from the journalist (or, "we" vs. "they")

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Batman, Nov 25, 2007.

1. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

A few years ago, before I got press credentials to cover D.C. United, I was able to go to a match as a rabid fanboy looser but then turn around hours later and write a piece that wouldn't even suggest that I was there as a rabid fanboy looser.

However, when I was in the press box the next year, I think I made one subtle fist pump under the table the entire season during a year when D.C. United won MLS Cup. I should also add that I won't try the whole rabid fanboy looser thing/reporter thing. If I'm there with a press credential, I'm not there to cheer. If I'm there with a ticket, I'm not there to cover the game.

Back to the "we" versus "they" thing, when I was interviewing one of the visiting team guys while covering indoor football this year, he referred to the team I was covering as "you guys." It made me want to cringe openly.

2. kingcreole

kingcreole Active Member

Covering a state soccer tournament this year, there was a nearby school that sent a team to the semifinals. After this nearby team won its semifinal, I'm talking to the opposing coach, who says, "Boy, you guys sure have a good team."

Um ... not my guys and they aren't even in the same town.

3. Damaramu

Damaramu Member

4. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

5. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

i honestly believe 99 percent of coaches who use that line aren't attempting to imply a damned thing.

6. forever_town

To me, it's just the other side of the same irritating coin.

7. PhilaYank36

PhilaYank36 Guest

To my knowledge, there is one -- and ONLY -- fan group that should be allowed to use "we" when referencing their favorite team: Green Bay Packer fans that live in Green Bay. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think that if you are a tax-paying resident in that town/city, you are a partial owner of the team.

8. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

huh?

9. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

Nope. If I'm with my friends, I forget I'm a journalist. I just grab a beer, take a seat and enjoy life for three hours.

10. forever_town

I'm referring to the whole argument about not using "we" when referring to a team. In this case, I'm talking about players and coaches who lump reporters in with the team they've just played against. Just as annoying to me.

11. Happy 6,000 fanboy!

12. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

he was too fucking busy cheering to even notice. :D

Draft saved Draft deleted