1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Senior Sports Reporter, Orlando Sentinel

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Tim Stephens, Dec 30, 2009.

1. FreddiePatek

FreddiePatek Active Member

How old is Barry Forbis? :)

2. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Along those lines, whenever management praises one of the dozen or so interns we have, it's all I can do to keep from screaming, "So, this person is doing a much better job than the 110 people we have laid off in the past 18 months?"

3. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Barry wasn't hired as a writer.

4. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I agree that it's not something to brag about... Hire the best person. I think you would have a very tough time finding a decent golf writer under 30.

Hoppes hired an all-star team of writers when he was there, but most of them were hired for prep/GA jobs and then promoted.

I hope Jeff Shain gets the call.

5. Ira_Schoffel

Ira_Schoffel Member

Hire. Jeff. Shain.

6. rossyb

rossyb New Member

I agree about Shain.

Hey, how bout the (playful) shot Bowden took at Bianchi the other day....I can only imagine Mike's ego when he heard that!

7. Drip

Drip Active Member

Age discrimination is supposed to be illegal.

8. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

I worked for a guy at a metro who always tried to hire people under 30 and single. He felt that if they had no lives and were driven by sheer career ambitions, they'd give him great effort and lots of unpaid hours.

Guess it worked for the most part. But it was so transparent, it was funny. And it ticked off some veteran people w. families on the staff.

9. Birdscribe

Birdscribe Active Member

I was on my honeymoon 19 years ago and came back to a message from the SE of the old Anchorage Times, who was looking for a sports writer to cover Alaska-Anchorage hockey.

Called the guy back and he was crestfallen when he heard I was on my honeymoon. Turned out he wanted to hire a single guy for exactly that reason and said as much.

They bought the proverbial farm less than a year later.

10. Tim Stephens

Tim Stephens Member

Resumes starting to arrive for this one. If you are interested, you need to move quickly. The Florida Swing will be upon us soon. Questions or to apply, hit me up at the e-mail address above.

11. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Tim,

HIRE JEFF SHAIN!

I know he's not 23 and he's not working for a Lacrosse magazine in upper New York or a PM paper in New Mexico and The Sentinel can't claim to have discovered him, but he'd be the best hire, by far... :)

12. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Just like certain papers hire minorities because of some quota.

Some of them were excellent journalists. Others, you just knew they were only brought in because of their skin color.

Draft saved Draft deleted