1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Senior Sports Content Producer - The Boston Globe

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Matt Stephens, Apr 19, 2011.

1. Matt Stephens

Matt Stephens Well-Known Member

Via JJobs: http://www.journalismjobs.com/Job_Listing.cfm?JobID=1248585

Company: The Boston Globe
    Position: Senior Content Producer - Sports
    Job Status: Full-time
    Salary: Not Specified
    Ad Expires: May 20, 2011
    Job ID: 1248585

DESCRIPTION/RESPONSIBILITIES:

The Boston Globe is seeking a dynamic Web producer for the sports section of BostonGlobe.com, a new website that will become the home of the Globe online. Set to debut later this year, BostonGlobe.com will offer an immersive reading experience for subscribers who value quality journalism.

The sports producer will be a key component of the team that builds, launches, and runs the website. The ideal candidate will have a passion for online storytelling and a dedication to the type of in-depth, meaningful journalism that the Globe produces. Applicants should also be creative, energetic, and thrive in a fast-paced editorial environment.

Responsibilities include:

-- Managing the sports sections of BostonGlobe.com

-- Selecting stories, photos, videos, and graphics to feature on the website

-- Writing crisp, clean headlines and teases on tight deadlines

-- Planning and executing online coverage for major sports events

-- Building strong Web packages and presentations

-- Identifying opportunities for multimedia features

-- Coordinating coverage with the Globe’s sports, photo, design, and video departments

Skills required:

-- Superior news judgment and knowledge of the Boston sports scene

-- Strong copy editing skills

-- Familiarity with HTML and CSS

-- Experience using Photoshop to edit and resize images

-- Prior experience with a content management system (knowledge of EidosMedia Inc.’s Méthode is a plus)

-- Skill with social media and mobile devices

-- At least two to four years of experience working in an online editorial environment

The Boston Globe and Boston.com are the dominant news sources in New England. The Globe, founded in 1872, has a daily circulation of 232,000 copies and has won 20 Pulitzer Prizes. Boston.com is the 7th most visited newspaper website in the country, with nearly 200 million page views and 5 million unique users each month. Since its inception in 1995, it has won many awards for its journalism, including the Jesse Laventhol Prize for online storytelling from the American Society of Newspaper Editors, EPpys, and New England Emmys for video production. BostonGlobe.com will be launched in 2011 as an immersive reading experience for subscribers who value quality journalism.

2. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

Does Chip know you're obsessed with job postings?

3. Matt Stephens

Just figured I'd help people out by sharing them here. I'm sure plenty of folks are interested. Plus, if these were things I was actually thinking about pursuing, wouldn't it be counterproductive, statistically speaking, to post them here? I'm ecstatic about my new gig and don't have a desire to go elsewhere.

4. Ice9

Ice9 Active Member

BostonGlobe.com is the paywall, correct? Wasn't it supposed to launch on January 1?

5. Ice9

Ice9 Active Member

Because nobody else would ever think to post a Boston Globe job ad on SportsJournalists.com...

6. dirtybird

dirtybird Well-Known Member

Well someone has to, might as well be him. And at time I've seen jobs take a little extra time to get here. Maybe like two weeks from jjobs to the board, but in some instances it could make a difference.

7. Matt Stephens

Pretty much my thought process.

8. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

Wait this is a major job...

Don't bother sending, this one will get over 5000 resumes...

I know your boss, he is solid guy

They should take a look at joe schmoe he is an up and comer

This one won't get filled externally...

There, that about covers it all!!

9. Mulligan

Mulligan Guest

Think a role like this in an expensive city approaches six figures?

10. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

Really? This is for a web producer position. I doubt anyone here will get more than $50-55K if that, although I don't know what scale is there.

11. Ice9

Ice9 Active Member

50-55 can get you a decent apartment in Southie, Somerville, Cambridge, West Roxbury, et al, gentrification be damned

12. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

You can find a nice place right by St. Margaret's for that price, probably, and in theory you could walk to work. But for someone to even suggest this would be a six-figure job is ridiculous.

Draft saved Draft deleted