1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Senior reporter for UNC hoops, football

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by gravehunter, Oct 14, 2011.

1. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

That's impressive and surprising. Many newspapers have chopped photo desks to pieces.

2. 1HPGrad

1HPGrad Member

Anybody hearing anything?
    Sophomores, save the you're hired responses. I'm just an interested observer hoping they get to fill with a big time writer.

3. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

This was a great post.

4. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Well, Duke football is an exception. I wouldn't shell out a grand to go watch the Dukies get thumped at Boston. One paper I worked at had a rule of thumb: if the story isn't significant enough for A1 or a section front, it's probably not worth traveling for, including preps, unless it's a day trip.

Duke stinks in football. But UNC, NC State and even Wake have had their moments. And if you're talking the conference as a whole, it sure beats the Big Least and a few others.

5. They made a hire. And a damn good one.

6. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

I'm told Andrew Carter got this job - indeed a damn good hire.

I'm also told they may be another hire needed soon. Ken Tysiac has given his notice to work at a non-sports magazine. I say may be another hire because, while I expect them to fill this, you never know.

So the Char-leigh or Ralotte combo has lost two EXCELLENT collegiate reporters recently. Wow and wow.

7. I used to know Ken several years ago but lost touch. What is his role with Raleigh/Charlotte now?

8. mediaguy

mediaguy Well-Known Member

He was covering N.C. State, I think. Was helping with UNC/NCAA stuff too.

9. ondeadline

ondeadline Well-Known Member

Not a fun weekend for Andrew Carter: http://www.latimes.com/travel/deals/la-trb-jetblue-stranded-hartford-20111030,1,2366209.story

10. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Hoops > football at Vandy too.

11. da man

da man Well-Known Member

What? I got the job? Wow, thanks!

[​IMG]

12. SCEditor

SCEditor Active Member

Loved Ken's stuff when he worked the Clemson beat at The State. He's an incredibly nice guy, even treating young cub reporters well. Any word where he's going? Regardless, I'm sure he'll do well.

Draft saved Draft deleted