1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Senior reporter for UNC hoops, football

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by gravehunter, Oct 14, 2011.

1. Fran Curci

Fran Curci Well-Known Member

HP: Yes ...exactly.

2. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Congrats to Robbi...

Question on this job. I probably know the answer, but I'll ask it anyway because I'm always fascinated about juggling covering college football and hoops at the same time...

UNC hoops is playing on the road in non-conference play on the same day as the football team. Which game does the beat writer go to and does a backup cover the other one?

3. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

My guess would be it depends how strong the football team is, if they are in contention or not. And who the basketball team is playing: If it's Kentucky on the road, that's one thing. If it's Tennessee-Martin, that's different.

4. 1HPGrad

1HPGrad Member

In that market, beat writer goes with basketball team. Always. Nobody in the Triangle gives a rat's ass about football relative to basketball, which is one reason the UNC football mess was so ridiculous. It's why the N&O has college basketball stories on the cover in June and July. That's how the Triangle rolls.

5. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

That's how it should be. I remember one big paper had their beat writer at a meaningless football game and they used a stringer on what should have been an easy non-conference game and people almost lost their jobs over the decision not to be on the road with the hoops team.

6. BrianGriffin

BrianGriffin Active Member

Do they have somebody who is a de facto lead on football? I was once one of two full-time football beat writers for an SEC school (a third person was part-time in a hybrid role), but I would take lead on basketball once that started and the other guy would step up in football with a little bit of the gap getting filled by the third guy.

But covering this school, even as the basketball guy, I wasn't going to miss a football trip, bowls included.

7. accguy

accguy Member

The one thing that the N&O has going for it in the overlap part of the year is that in most years, Carolina plays either Duke or NC State in the last game of the regular season.

That helps them spring one of the beat writers to go cover hoops if there's a conflict.

8. 1HPGrad

1HPGrad Member

SEC football = Varsity.
    ACC football (in Triangle) = Freshmen team.
    SEC basketball = JV team.
    ACC basketball = Varsity.
    UNC basketball = It's THE pro beat.
    Spend one week in the Triangle when all 3 teams have a home game, then tell me where the basketball passion is better. There's nowhere like it in the country. That's why this is the best basketball beat job in the country, and why I hope Charlotte gets to hire accordingly. Problem is, as much as Charlotte people follow the ACC, they don't live it every day like Triangle peeps do.

9. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

ACC football deserves more respect than that.

And SEC basketball? Isn't Kentucky ranked No. 1 preseason?

10. ondeadline

ondeadline Well-Known Member

By one coach in the coaches poll. Every other voter says UNC is No. 1.

Hoops obviously trumps football in the Triangle. Even when there isn't a conflict, football's place is obvious. The N&O used a stringer for Duke's game at Boston College earlier this season.

11. 1HPGrad

1HPGrad Member

Billy D won two NCAA titles, but there was only one Ball Coach on campus.
    Kentucky basketball is the SEC's exception, and I was referring to reader interest/beat priority.
    ACC football in the Triangle is a complete afterthought. LT and Philip Rivers couldn't change that.

12. ondeadline

ondeadline Well-Known Member

A farewell blog post from Robbi: http://blogs.newsobserver.com/accnow/as-i-leave-the-no-my-hardest-goodbye

Draft saved Draft deleted