1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Senior reporter for UNC hoops, football

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by gravehunter, Oct 14, 2011.

1. gravehunter

gravehunter Member

Seeking senior sports reporter.....

The senior reporter for UNC sports covers basketball and football. The reporter is responsible for a comprehensive report of the teams year-round. The reporter sets the agenda for beat, creating and executing plans for long and short term coverage. The reporter breaks news online and in print, wirtes analysis pieces and enterprise stories and must stay ahead of trends and develop and maintain a broad group of sources Strong writing, confident reporting and knowledge of grammar, Associated Press and News & Observer style is important. Night and weekend work required. Perform other sports and newsroom duties as assigned.

Here is the link.....

http://www.jobpath.com/Jobs/Mcclatchy/Senior_Sp_Sport_Sp_Reporter_Fslash_Unc_Sp_Sports/J8B49H73FHPMVPYMJ5S

2. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

They wasted no time posting that.

3. 1HPGrad

1HPGrad Member

But will they fill from outside or slide someone over? That's the big question. I hope Mike has his list of 5 names ready to go.

4. Cape_Fear

Cape_Fear Active Member

Must have a N.C. driver's license is a requirement? Seems to preclude out of state hires. The insurance requirement is odd too.

5. mediaguy

mediaguy Well-Known Member

How did this job open up?

Found it. Congrats to Robbi Pickeral on new job with ESPN.

6. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

So one has to spend half an hour at DMV wrestling with paperwork ... is it really a deal breaker?

7. Drip

Drip Active Member

I agree. I'm glad there is an opening but something doesn't feel right about this one.

8. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

In my experience stringing for the N&O, it seems like the company is very particular about the way it does business. That's not necessarily a bad thing, but the rules are rules there.

9. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Not that I think they'd hire a 21-year-old, but it would be tough for someone that age to produce a 7-year driving record.

10. Keyser Söze

Keyser Söze New Member

Strange guidelines. Bummer. Think I'd have been an otherwise strong candidate for this.

11. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

The specificity of the requirements make me think there may be someone they have in mind who actually fits those qualifications.

12. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

The ad also says, "Ten years of daily newspaper experience preferred."

Draft saved Draft deleted