1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Senior lead out @ prom?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by bydesign77, Apr 23, 2011.

1. Point of Order

Point of Order Active Member

I enjoy seeing the prom kids out to eat around this time of year.

2. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

Having the parents there is the best way to keep them from getting pregnant. Just saying.

3. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Utterly ridiculous. It's not like the world ends at your school's property line. Why should your kid have to take someone from his school if he wants to have a date? If someone wants to bring a date from outside of school, they should be able to.

At my first newspaper job in a small town, I had to take pics of the prom couple and nominees and stuff like that. They had the prom, which was a combined junior and senior one, in the gym, which was fine and all. But then around 10 p.m., all the parents arrived and they moved into the auditorium, where they announced the couple.

I thought it was the dumbest thing because 1. To me, who wants parents at your prom? It's supposed to be a celebration of your independence and stuff like that. And 2. The juniors were the ones by rule to be eligible to be prom couple, not the seniors. What?

4. Fat2Cat

Fat2Cat Guest

Wow I wish I went to your kid's school!

Due to a quirk in scheduling, my being "single" my junior year, my having a wide circle of friends, and, I'd like to think my stunning good looks and endless charm, I had the misfortune of taking 5 girls to 6 different proms my junior year. I think my dad is till paying off the tux rentals.

5. MartinonMTV2

MartinonMTV2 New Member

I knew a guy whose parents made him go to prom with someone who couldn't get a date. I think it was his sophomore year, so it wasn't like he would have been going with someone else. But still. Come on, man!

6. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

My freshman year in HS, my school had this old-fashioned rule where to go to the prom, you had to had a date. You couldn't go stag.

So a group of 6 junior girls wanted to go together, just to hang out as friends. They were told they needed a date. So they got one of their junior guy friends to be their date for all 6 of them. The guy picked each of them up individually, exchanged flowers with each of them (3 flowers on each lapel for his suit), and they posed for one picture with the guy and the six girls. The school principal, naturally, complained. But they pointed out there was nothing in the rules that said how many dates a guy could have to the prom, only that he needed to have a date.

Needless to say, the rule on having dates to the prom was dropped the next year, and people could go as couples, or as individuals.

7. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

If it turns out this is an "Animal House" tribute, cooked up by both kids with full knowledge of the scene it's referencing, my usual opinion that there is no hope for the future may need to be revised.

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  8. pressboxer

pressboxer Active Member

I attended what was quite likely the only high school in the nation that had neither prom nor homecoming. We had the Coronation of the Buckaroo Queen in Februrary, usually just bout the time a severe ice storm hit our part of the prairie.

9. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

"Coronation of the Buckaroo Queen" sounds like Kinky Friedman's sequel to "In the Court of the Crimson King."

10. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

It started getting silly with limousines back when I was a kid. I refused to participate in the limo ride.
    I enjoyed going to proms. It was a fun experience.
    I think prom is a nice thing for kids, but carrying it to these levels is beyond silly.

11. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Buck, We did the limo thing. It was four or five couples chipping in and piling into one. We did the prom at some place that we rented out and then took the limo into Manhattan where we went to a comedy club first and a comedian ripped on us for his whole set, because we were dorky kids in our prom tuxedos. My date chose my tuxedo to match her dress. It was white with a royal blue bowtie and cumberbun and white shoes to finish off the catastrophe. I looked like Mr. Roark with a blue bow tie. It's so funny thinking back.

12. secretariat

secretariat Active Member

It's pretty funny hearing it now, too.

Draft saved Draft deleted