1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Senior hockey player dies after on-ice fight

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Double J, Jan 2, 2009.

1. PeteyPirate

PeteyPirate Guest

And again, let's examine our use of the word "malicious." Wallace calls what Bertuzzi did "malicious," and I think we can all agree it was. But apparently there is some question as to whether Fulton acted maliciously. If punching another guy in the face -- an act that by definition is meant to cause harm to the other -- isn't malicious, then what is?

2. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

I used to work with a guy who did three years for exactly that.

3. writing irish

writing irish Active Member

An ex-girlfriend of mine, a county attorney, actually had to prosecute a case like this once. Dude went to prison for manslaughter. She felt that he was dealt with too harshly, but she had no control over the sentencing.

4. Wallace

Wallace Guest

I'm of the same opinion - my point was that the act of fighting is different than what Bertuzzi did.

5. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I am serious, just trying to take the fight off the ice. If both guys were fighting in a bar you would expect there to be legal consequences -- even if you felt it was unfair or an accident or that people fight in bars all the time.

I find it odd that folks in Canada expect no legal action to be warranted.

6. Iron_chet

Iron_chet Well-Known Member

I don't think what Bertuzzi did is comparable to fighting in hockey.

My point is that the same hosers who scream IT HAPPENED ON THE ICE in regards to fighting are the same ones who think that the courts should not have done anything in the Bertuzzi case.

I am comparing the atitudes of the hockey fans, not the actions of the players.

7. Wallace

Wallace Guest

This is actually a fascinating thread for me. I come from a big hockey family that grew up playing and the majority of who (including me) still play. It's interesting the dynamic difference in thoughts between some regarding fighting. To me, it's just part of the game, and what happened to Sanderson was a bad accident (even if it did involve fighting where, yes, it does sound kind of ridiculous), much the same way where sometimes horrific injuries occur after simple hits (again, MY opinion). I can see the other side though - the point of fighting is to hurt someone. And if it happened off the ice, legal action would be warranted, no questions asked. It will be interesting to see what transpires.

Has their been something like this that has happened before, a player dying from injuries sustained in a fight? Not that I can recall, but maybe someone else can?

8. terrier

terrier Well-Known Member

He played for the Dunlops? Always buckle up your chin straps before a game with the Oglethorpes.
    But seriously...I see it going to court for manslaughter, and the guy beating the rap. Halfhearted prosecution, just enough to satisfy people whose hair turns blue over hockey violence, making sure the status quo isn't interrupted.

9. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I know when my kid gives the "It was an accident" excuse I tell him that even if he didn't mean it, he's responsible for the result of his accident.

10. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

It's all fun and games until someone gets killed.

11. Double J

Double J Active Member

terrier, sounds plausible....probable, even.

By the way, they were named the Dunlops not after Reg, but after the original Senior A franchise which in turn was named after its sponsor, the Dunlop Tire company......their initial main rivals were the Kingston Goodyears.

12. NoOneLikesUs

NoOneLikesUs Active Member

I have cooled considerably regarding my feelings about fighting in hockey. I recently attended a North American Hockey League game and was highly disappointed to see the kids in their late teens and early 20s attempt to start fights for the purposes of playing to the crowd.

I understand that proper minor league teams often do this in a professional manner, but a developmental league team doing the same thing was a little bit sickening.

Draft saved Draft deleted