1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Senior Editor, SportsXChange

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by sportsed, Jun 16, 2006.

1. spaceman

spaceman Active Member

You'll get nothing and like it!

2. clutchcargo

clutchcargo Active Member

I'm very new to this Web site, so hang with me as I find my bearings. I feel bad for you folks who never got paid for work with the previous existence of SportsXChange, but I can't feel too sorry for the person out there who didn't get his or her $500 or the one who is still owed $1,200.

I know that's important money for making a car payment or house payment, but cry to me when you've topped the $14,000 I earned in six months' work for the "old" Golf Illustrated and never received a dime. The parent company was owned by some Jabba-looking guy, spoiled rich kid of a Phoenix family who flew Daddy's private planes and ran the company into the ground, so that by the time they filed bankruptcy, I was helpless as a nonsecured vendor. Yeah, I was naive and too nice a guy while yapping at them to get paid, but by the time I get a buddy lawyer of mine involved for me, it was hopeless and I was out $500 of attorney's fees.

You win some and you lose some. But, yeah, this Broadband outfit sounds like a bunch of slimeball losers, eating through venture capital like it's a whole bunch of Krispy Kreme freebies.

hang in there.

3. Bill Horton

Bill Horton Active Member

I can vouch for the veracity of everything ESPNguy said.

4. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Interesting thread. As someone said earlier, this is a great use for this forum.

If this company is a new-and-improved version of the old one, sounds like they'd earn a lot of goodwill by paying those old debts.

5. SportsGuyBCK

SportsGuyBCK Active Member

I bet the lawyers got something ... the lawyers ALWAYS get something ...

6. da man

da man Well-Known Member

If they owe a million bucks, that might not be financially feasible. Plus, there might be a legal reason why they don't want to assume the liabilities of a now-defunct company that apparently drowned in debt. If you pay one group (the writers and editors), won't the other creditors come asking for theirs?

7. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Fair points. But I kind of wonder why they wouldn't come back under a new name. Clearly there's some baggage.

And not to pile on clutchcargo, but I can't imagine allowing a company to get $14k worth of work over six months without getting a cent. Maybe after the first month or $1k, you wait for that first check before taking on more stuff?

8. da man

da man Well-Known Member

By the way, Clutch, how are Spinner and Paddlefoot?

9. Bill Horton

Bill Horton Active Member

now THERE'S something we can ALL agree on!!!!

10. Lester Bangs

Lester Bangs Active Member

Thing is, there's truth to pretty much everything being said here. I've had odd dealings with these guys -- really odd, in some cases -- but the guy whose name is on this ad is also one of the better guys in the business and would never screw anybody over. It's largely a good group of professionals/guys, but I've heard that the workload requires a special kind of dedication, which perhaps borders on the unwieldy. Take it or don't take it, but don't worry about getting paid ... worry about the job's expectations.

11. donaugust

donaugust Member

I'll vouch for the unevenness of TSX's copy. Having seen it on the other end, after it's allegedly been edited, I can only hope a good editor gets this job.

12. da man

da man Well-Known Member

I'd say a lot of that unevenness has something to do with the large volume of copy TSX's editors are asked to plow through in a given night.

Draft saved Draft deleted