1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Senior Editor, SportsXChange

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by sportsed, Jun 16, 2006.

1. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Bill,

I'm sure you are right. I have no question about that. My point is that on our end of things, all we know is Sports Xchange burned us and the same guy I dealt with before called and asked me to do more for the "new" Sports Xchange. Business particulars aside, you certainly can see how that looks on our end of things.
    Same dude who burned me on Blue Ribbon is still doing Blue Ribbon. New guy signing the checks? Probably. But still ***

I don't dispute any of your facts in any way. I'm just saying how it looks from my side.

2. SportsInsane

SportsInsane New Member

That's quite a little fantasyland you've concocted in your last post there, espnguy. But high comedy for those in the know.

3. Bill Horton

Bill Horton Active Member

OK, sportsinsane ... winners walk, losers talk ... you need to back up what you're saying with some facts or get out of the game.
    ESPNguy out some time and effort into writing a long response filled with details. Now it's your time to show some sack and back up your statements ...

4. SportsInsane

SportsInsane New Member

"Can't hack it," "winners walk, losers talk" ... that type of macho BS is code in this biz for "this place is f-ed up and we have no other retort." Others have already offered specifics without any prompting from me. Ask anyone who has written for them and then gotten something less than agreed upon in their paycheck, if they've gotten paid at all, about specifics.

5. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Guys, I'll put in my two bucks. For the past year, I've been a regular freelance editor for Sports Xchange and I can set my clock be my checks. They are by far my best gig when it comes to getting checks promptly. In fact, I'm always begging them for more work because I know I can count on them.

As espnguy said, the workload is often borderline overwhelming and the pace is very fast. I have no idea how much they're paying this position or of there are any benefits. But as far as getting paid, they are top of the line -- at least in the year I've been working for them.

6. Moderator1

My checks came like clockwork, too, every month on the same day for a good long while. And then they didn't come. Or it didn't come. One stiff job and that was all they got out of me. I work too hard to take it up the ass.

I've received some PMs about this. One of the names mentioned floored me, he was involved in the previous incarnation.

7. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

BTW, Moddy-

This, to me, is where the board is most valuable, in discussions such as this.

Carry on.

8. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

They still owe me as well. Last I heard, it was in court and we were supposed to get a $125 settle ment or something like that, even tho they owed me about $500.

9. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Good luck. A magazine I wrote for went out of business a couple years ago owing me $1,600. I just got the letter saying the settlement is now final --- and I got nothing.

10. Hustle

Hustle Guest

This was at Sports Weekly when I worked there late last year (which ended when they merged into the daily sports dept.).

As to why they would keep them, I have no idea. I was only PT and didn't get that heavily involved with the whys; I did my job. I just know what I was told and did see some examples of it. No, I can't remember specifics, but there were a few - though in a clear minority - that were egregious.

Question what you'd like, but this is how it happened with me anyway.

11. I can't add anything with nearly that depth, but I did stringing for them this year and I always got my check very promptly. It was pretty easy money for games I was already attending.

12. Moderator1

Thanks, ESPNguy, an interesting perspective from that side. And some - mine and others - from the other side.

I was told the same thing about that settlement, told I'd get about 25 percent of what I was owed. Then I was told it would be nothing.

But that was then, maybe it's a different ballgame now. I wouldn't touch TSX, that doesn't mean you shouldn't.

Let me say that, given the history and the amount of money people were burned for here, don't come down too hard on those who are negative. There are clearly strong reasons to feel both ways on this one.

Draft saved Draft deleted