1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Senior Editor, Sports Desk, Corpus Christi, TX

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Drip, Jun 29, 2010.

1. chase.colston

chase.colston Member

From what I remember, the "Central Desk" in Corpus will have editors and designers numbering in the mid 50s. So, you're probably looking at about 35 per night to get five people per each paper. Just guessing, though.

2. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

So you basically put the pages together in one location and then ship them electronically to be printed somewhere else?

So you're basically like Super Paginator, seven papers a night? Heavens, what a nightmare.

3. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Not how I'm reading it. You get budgets/needs/story play from the on-site sports editors. ETAs of story/photo arrivals, etc. You book the section. Then you hand off those sections to designers/paginators/copy editors who put it all together and ship it out electronically to each respective hometown print press.

4. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

The editor is running the show, not acting in the play. They aren't paying $50k for someone to paginate.

5. Editude

Editude Active Member

Friend talked to the contact about this position before he took another gig. Lots of moving parts, and it is, as Mile High said, an admin/booking/staff managing spot with some nightly page work if absolutely needed. Hours won't be until 2, but it's not a day job either. And the salary is decent for that part of coastal Texas.

6. MileHigh

Former well-qualified co-worker talked with them about the position a couple of weeks ago but didn't take it, thus the posting. And the posting says $50K+, so it could be more than that. Another plus: No state income taxes in Texas.

7. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Honestly, that doesn't make any sense to me. Maybe I'm not getting something here.

You have a local sports editor and a local paginator. You come in, discuss things for a few and go from there. First, why would you need someone hundreds/thousands of miles away in the process? Second, if I'm in, say, California, my section is probably not going to look anything like one in Texas most days.

If I'm the paginator, I don't want someone hundreds of miles away "booking the section". That's my responsibility, along with the responsibility to adjust to breaking news if it happens as the night goes along. Strange.

8. MileHigh

I'll try to be more clear.

You don't have a local paginator. The paginators, designers and copy editors are in Corpus Christi.

You have a sports editor in the individual locations. He/she budgets the section, what he/she wants as the lead and in the section and, approximately, where the placement should be in the section. He/she then sends it off to the sports editor in Corpus Christi. Said sports editor in Corpus Christi books/maps out the section for the designers/paginators/copy editors -- again, who are all based in Corpus Christi. The reporters file their stories -- to Corpus Christi. The sections are built there. Designed there. Paginated there. Edited there. Then sent to each papers' presses. Viola! Except, I'm hearing of downed power lines and tornadoes in Corpus Christi tonight because of the hurricane, but those are minor details.

As for breaking news? Different animal. After, say, 6 p.m., too bad. Goes in the next day, perhaps.

9. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Aw, OK, thanks. Didn't realize all the paginators were in Corpus Christi.

Still don't like the arrangement. If I'm at one of the west coast papers, how is it helpful to have the pages built in Corpus Christi and constantly be communicating over the phone? Wonder how many people they have on that desk to do seven distinctly different papers?

10. Desk_dude

Desk_dude Member

I doubt those papers are different for every page. The baseball page, for example, may be nearly the same everywhere. And pieces of a page may be the same.

11. joe_schmoe

joe_schmoe Active Member

50K is pretty decent pay in Texas, and especially in Corpus. Cost of living there is very reasonable.

Corpus is a decent-sized city that's easy to get around in. Plenty of dining options and decent, though not outstanding, nightlife.

There are some decent people that work at the paper there.

the biggest cons to the job are Gulf coast living isn't for everyone. You pretty much have to experience it for yourself to find out why it may or may not be for you. Hot, humid summer days can be very bad here, though most days are tolerable due to an ocean breeze. Still, it's a feel for yourself.

You're a long drive away from the nearest MLB, NFL, NHL and/or NBA team, and that drive (at least until you hit San Antonio) is kinda lonely.

There is minor league hockey, indoor football and minor league baseball. Whataburger Field is one of the more scenic minor league baseball parks in the state. But it's home to the Astros Double A affiliate, so the scenic stadium is drained out by bad baseball.

There is decent HS football around the area, but the top area HS teams are in baseball.

12. MileHigh

Have some former co-workers down there after the RMN closure and they like the town, the paper and the people.

Draft saved Draft deleted