1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Senior Editor, Sports Desk, Corpus Christi, TX

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Drip, Jun 29, 2010.

1. Drip

Drip Active Member

The Scripps Central Desk, which, as of fall 2010, will execute the copy editing and page design for seven papers -- Ventura County (Calif.) Star, Corpus Christi (Texas) Caller-Times, Abilene (Texas) Reporter-News, Wichita Falls Times News Record, San Angelo (Texas) Standard-Times, Redding (Calif.) Record-Searchlight and Kitsap (Wash.) Sun -- needs an energetic, organized Senior Editor/Sports to help run the sports desk. This sports editor works with the sports editors at the seven papers with all of their local content and helps round out the sections with regional and national sports news. This sports editor must be extremely well-organized and like the challenge of finding efficiencies in producing seven sports sections at once. The chief responsibility is booking sections and working with local sports editors but there will be some help needed on the desk to produce pages, sometimes at night. Planning ahead must be a strong suit. Good people skills are a must. A minimum of five years daily experience, preferably at least two as a sports editor or key assistant, is a must. The Central Desk is run by E.W. Scripps and pays competitive salary ($50,000+) with excellent benefits. The desk operates in Corpus Christi, which sits on the coast of the Gulf of Mexico, about three hours southwest of Houston and two hours south of San Antonio. The Central Desk won 11 design/editing awards in its first year of operation at the highly competitive Texas Associated Press Managing Editors contest. We currently are ramping up staff to add the Ventura and Kitsap papers.
    Apply online at www.scripps.com/careers/jobsearch requisition #1808 in addition send your resume, cover letter, references and cover letter to Jen Meehan Scripps Central Editorial Director, meehanj@caller.com

2. dm19

dm19 Member

Welcome to the future ladies and gentleman.

3. esport12

esport12 Member

Corpus Christi by itself is a very solid shop. It'll be interesting to see how they handle the California stuff. (I believe they'll have a later deadline for those pages with some people working until 2 a.m. Texas time).

I must say, though, that salary is pretty nice.

4. Mystery Meat II

Mystery Meat II Well-Known Member

Won't the Kitsap and Redding readers be surprised when the M's-A's game that started at 7 didn't make the paper because Hurricane Alex made landfall?

5. ...a future that will not have off days in them.

You can get pretty far on $50K-plus on Corpus, especially if you're single. The position interests me, and I will be putting my name in the hat, but there are already some interesting questions being brought up here.

As far as dealing with California, I'd supposed the hours would look something like 6pm-2am in order to deal with the West Coast.

6. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

I'd guess earlier than that. You're booking the section/dealing with the editors at the seven papers.

7. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

Since it's a senior editor position, I doubt you're there until the last page is out.

Since it's a combined desk, do the papers work off of similar templates? I don't have any experience with a combined desk.

8. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Not many people do. This is certainly a grand experience by Scripps, clearly driven by Benjamins.

9. Seven papers a night? I don't care how many templates you have. What's the staffing level going to be for what sounds like 28-40 pages nightly?

10. esport12

esport12 Member

For what it's worth, Corpus already did some of the pages for the Texas papers. The people there did a good job, and as the ad points out, won several awards. So there is something to go off of.

This could be one of those things that works out great -- and perhaps ends of keeping us employed. Of course, it could be a massive failure.

All I know is the people at Caller Times are first rate. And very good.

11. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

What exactly is this position going to do?

Where are the papers going to be printed?

You're dealing with seven different papers in seven different cities, thousands of miles apart. Does each paper have its own sports editor? If so, what does this position do? Confusing.

12. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

You work with local sports editors. Basically you're there to run the show on the copy desk, and make sure you get the copy from local papers you were told you were going to get, and fill in the rest. The papers still have to get printed in their home state.

The nightmare for the copy editors on the line is getting info that a local copy editor can find rather quickly. If I need to know what year a kid is, I have plenty of material at my desk. Or confirm the spelling of a name.

I wonder where the photos get toned.

Draft saved Draft deleted