1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Senior editor -- SportingNews.com

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Igor in CT, May 30, 2007.

1. Igor in CT

Igor in CT Member

jj.com

Company: SportingNews.com
    Position: Senior Editor for sports website
    Job Status: Full-time
    Salary: Not Specified
    Ad Expires: July 4, 2007
    Job ID: 783553

Description:
    SportingNews.com seeks a senior editor for its award-winning website based in Charlotte, N.C. We’re looking for an experienced editor who not only can lead the copydesk but also has an understanding of interactive journalism and the enthusiasm of building a strong sports community in a Web 2.0 environment.

This position is a hands-on role supervising the daily editorial production of SportingNews.com. The senior editor will coach other editors on the desk and help coordinate day-to-day content. The successful candidate will have excellent news judgment, be able to work in a team environment with multiple writers and editors and be able to respond to breaking news. In addition, we’re looking for an innovative thinker who understands the importance of the readers’ voice to the website.

Knowledge of Photoshop and basic HTML is a plus but not required. Knowledge in basketball, football, hockey, baseball and NASCAR is a must, and candidates should also have a strong sense of the hot topics outside of those areas. Candidates should have a degree in journalism, new media or equivalent; excellent command of the English language; and strong editing and grammar skills.

Qualifications: Several years of experience on the web, in newspapers or magazines required, including supervisory experience. In addition, your work status must be such that you are authorized to work in the United States for any employer.

SportingNews.com is part of American City Business Journals.

To apply, send your resume, cover letter and examples of work to Managing Editor Benson Taylor at btaylor@sportingnews.com or 14500 S. Outer 40, Suite 300, Chesterfield, MO 63017. Do not email attachments.

2. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

I understand we can communicate electronically, but why would they want the Web site people half a country away from the magazine people? It would seem to me that it would hinder collaboration. Some newspapers, including mine, have only recently moved the Web people inside the newsroom for that very reason, even though in our case they were only about 20 feet from the newsroom to begin with.

3. ShelbyFoote

ShelbyFoote Member

I think the whole magazine is moving to Charlotte, no? I could be wrong ...

4. JJ.com also has an opening for an associate editor for sportingnews.com

5. boots

boots New Member

Frank, they have had to revamp everything over the past, say, decade and a half. I've heard various stories about the place but I tell you who could give you a good skinny on what's up. Give Bob Nightengale a call at USA Today.

6. Dan Rydell

Dan Rydell Guest

Anyone know why this job will be based in Charlotte?

7. spaceman

spaceman Active Member

because the parent company is based there.

8. pipes

pipes New Member

Having worked in nothing but newspapers ... what would a job like this pay? Any thoughts?

9. chazp

chazp Active Member

I read that somewhere also.

10. Dan Rydell

Dan Rydell Guest

I used to work with Benson Taylor at TSN. He's an outstanding guy.

11. ThatGuy

ThatGuy Member

I'll second that! The whole TSN staff is great! Many of them are moving to Charlotte, those that aren't are nervous...

12. pipes

pipes New Member

Has anyone heard anything about this gig? There seems to be so little information out there.

Draft saved Draft deleted