1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Senior Editor, NFL.com

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Jlofty, May 31, 2007.

1. Jlofty

Jlofty New Member

Hi folks ... longtime lurker, first-time poster. I just signed on as managing editor at NFL.com. As you might have heard, we are bringing the operation of the site in-house, and I am looking to fill one more Senior Editor position in our L.A.-area newsroom. Details below (and more details if you want to hit me up privately). Looking for someone with web editing/publishing experience (e.g. 24-hour news cycle, multimedia storytelling, etc.).

Thanks,

Jim Loftus

--------------------------------

The NFL Digital Media Group is seeking a Senior Editor who will lead the team responsible for editing and updating content for NFL.com.

Job Responsibilities:

The senior editor oversees daily content operations under the direction of the managing editor. The senior editor's duties include, but are not limited to, story assignments; copy flow management; copy editing for style, grammar and content of both wire and original content; headline writing; monitoring of wire feeds and other outside sources to ensure the latest news is represented on the site; page management and content display; and story idea origination. Additionally, the senior editor will collaborate with writers, contributors and other editors to plan daily story placement, as well as future story assignments and long-term projects.

Skills / Qualifications:
    • 5-7 years experience as a sports editor or reporter
    • Bachelor's degree in journalism or related degree strongly preferred
    • Experience in writing/editing for online publications preferred
    • Strong page-proof tracking and production skills
    • Strong written and verbal communication skills
    • Strong organizational and prioritization skills
    • Proven sports knowledge that lends itself to sound news judgment
    • Strong computer skills in Word
    • Knowledge of HTML and Photoshop preferred
    • Management experience a plus

Apply online:
    http://nfl.kenexa.com/nfl/cc/CCJobSearchAction.ss?command=CCSearchPage&ccid=bupJEdUjsTs%3D

Search under job requisition No. 5142 or job title "senior editor". Tnx.

2. Left_Coast

Left_Coast Active Member

Nice job. Any rough idea what it might pay?

3. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

My guess is he knows EXACTLY what it pays!

4. chazp

chazp Active Member

Plum job, no doubt.

5. spaceman

spaceman Active Member

good one, Moddy :)

6. Dan Rydell

Dan Rydell Guest

No one is ever gonna hire someone whose first question is: "Hey, how much does this job pay?"

Quit asking that question. If they wanna hire you, and you want the job, the salary question comes up then, and it's always negotiable, with a far-better range than you might know about.

But those who ask about salary first, or second, usually get shit-canned, because it's evident that this is the only thing on your mind.

Let the job offer come to you, and then you talk salary. If they want you bad enough, you'll see the wallet open further.

It's a money game. They know it, and you don't. Hold out a little. And don't ever accept the first offer. They can reach deeper, and they will.

7. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Relax, Danny. I say it's a fair question, especially under a fake name on a message board. The person doing the hiring usually won't answer it, but someone close to the situation might. You can't tell me you wouldn't want to know a ballpark figure if you were applying.

I'm not interested in the gig, but as curious as the next guy...

8. spaceman

spaceman Active Member

Danny makes good points.

9. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

He does, it doesn't help to look overly concerned with money because the people who are overly concerned with money are never happy because no matter what it is, it will never be enough. On the other hand, I've learned that it's never a good thing to waste either their time or yours, and if I have some doubt that we're going to be in the ballpark, I will raise the issue early in the process. In one case that was during a phone conversation in which I was invited to fly in for an interview. I said, "Just so I don't waste your time or money, what are we talking about, ballpark?" He told me and it wasn't enough and we parted ways with no harm done, except the time I put in to critique the section.

10. Buckeye12

Buckeye12 Member

Amen. It's a truly relevant question. Why waste anyone's time? A ballpark figure will cut the field or enhance it.
    It also lets an applicant know if it's worth moving a family, etc.
    I appreciate those who come in fully briefed for interviews. I would expect the same from an interviewer.

11. Lucas Wiseman

Lucas Wiseman Well-Known Member

My sources tell me this job should start out at around $70k and could go as high as six figures for the right candidate.

12. lantaur

lantaur Well-Known Member

So that should get you, what, maybe a 1-bedroom apartment in a decent L.A.-area neighborhood? :)

Draft saved Draft deleted