1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Senior Citizens love Bob Dylan

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by poindexter, Sep 26, 2006.

1. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

JR and Fenian - when you two decide to hang up the hammer and sickle for good in a year or two, you may want to think about retiring to the Long Beach Senior Center in Long Beach, CA.

The retirees there are apparently just mad about Bob Dylan, just like you two.

http://www.presstelegram.com/timgrobaty/ci_4391750

Tim Grobaty, Staff columnist

OLD SCHOOL: We had much to say about our high-school alma mater last week, mentioning, in some of our far-flung columns, some pop-culturally significant events that took place at the hallowed Wilson High School campus back in the 1960s.

Among those was Bob Dylan's performance at the Wilson High auditorium in 1964, which we said was his last performance in Big Town. (Here, we pause while you bolt upright, shouting, "That's right! It's Monday! Tickets go on sale for Dylan's Oct. 21 Long Beach Arena show at 10 this morning!") Turns out our research was flawed. Our sources included our brilliant memory, the P-T library, our heretofore infallible list of bands who've played in the Long Beach Auditorium and Arena, and Our Man in Rockville.

We should've checked the rock 'n' roll wing of the Long Beach Senior Center, because a couple of folks who were teens way, way back in December of 1965, devoted reader Louise Cunningham and an e-mailer going by "Degar," checked in to chide us for our foolish youthfulness. Both recalled (at various levels of acuity) seeing Dylan and The Band at the Auditorium in '65, when the former full-time folkie had discovered electricity.....

2. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

Why would that be odd that senior citizens love Dylan? Dylan himself is a senior citizen.

3. Hey poin --
    You couldn't have found an actual Communist at Joseph Stalin's birthday party.
    Dylan's Dylan. He's great for all ages.
    Nice to see he and Fox News have roughly the same demographics, though.

4. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

5. I do wish he'd lose the pencil-thin mustache, though.

6. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

No kidding. Looks like he's trying for some sort of Salvador Dali meets Lily Tomlin thing there.

7. I was going for Frida Kahlo, but I take your point.
    Of course, there are several women who look just like him at the Friday night fish fries in Pewaukee every week.

8. Pringle

Pringle Active Member

The closest I've ever heard Bob Dylan get to partisan politics was when he reported on his radio show that George Bush has Van Morrison on his iPod.

9. Bubbler

Nope. Their mustaches are bushier. And at Serb Hall, you might even see a beard.

On a somewhat related/unrelated note, I wonder if the Catholics and Orthodox Christian-driven split in Yugoslavia had its roots in which church did the better fish fries? Being Catholic, it hit some wonderous doozies in Milwaukee, but when my family lived in northeast Ohio for a time, the Serbian Orthodox Church in our neighorhood did it right too.

10. Anonymous fried whitefish, soggy French fries, and an ice-cold wax cup of Blatz.
    Now that's living.

11. Bubbler

A'ina Hey!

Draft saved Draft deleted