1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Senior Citizen???

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Lieslntx, Jul 10, 2011.

1. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

Getting carded on the wrong side of 30 is a life victory, every time.

2. holy bull

holy bull Active Member

Not every time. If your appearance warrants it, sure, but mine doesn't, so I don't consider it a victory, it's a kid mindlessly asking for your ID. The victory comes when he sheepishly chuckles about your age, and you send a subtle, robotic death stare through his hollow skull.

3. Wenders

Wenders Well-Known Member

My mom, who was prematurely grey, has been getting asked if she wants the senior citizen discount since she was about 37-38.

I, on the other hand, went to the movies with my dad a few months ago and got sold a child's ticket (for those 2-11). I'm 25 and was most definitely older than the gum-chewing 16-year-old behind the ticket counter.

I also got carded a couple of years ago to buy WD-40. I looked at the person who was waiting on me in Walmart like, "Are you fucking kidding me?"

4. MrWrite

MrWrite Member

Was at a brewery the other day, and a buddy I'm with gets carded, and goes into a big, loud, i-can't-believe-you're-carding-me rant, albeit jokingly, going on about how he's probably older than the bartender (he wasn't). Bartender finally says, "Can you just give me your ID so I can get started on these beers?" Which was basically what I was thinking the whole time.

If they ask, and you're on the wrong side of 30, it doesn't matter whether you (speaking generally, not at you LJB) think it's a victory. A victory would be not acting like you just turned 21 in handing it over.

5. SoCalDude

SoCalDude Active Member

A group of us were at a renaissance faire. Two of the girls, both 29, went for beers. One of them got carded, the other didn't.
    When the bartender said, "We card everybody who looks under 30," both of the girls got pissed -- the one who got carded because they thought she looked under 21, and the one who didn't get carded because they thought she looked over 30.

6. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

Great story.

I went to my first bar at 14 and didn't get carded. Drinking age was 18 at the time. Years after it became 21, when I was almost 30, I got carded.

7. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

It is a nice time to show a little humility.

8. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

This is what I think, too.

As someone who cards people whenever it's required -- for alcohol, medications, paint, guns, ammunition, WD-40, glue, cigarettes and an assortment of other things that are sold at the store at which I work -- I always fail to understand how/why people make such a big deal about being carded.

I also can't believe how many people go into stores and go shopping, even for things for which they may get carded, without their driver's licenses. Why would you do that? Why would you have your wallet, ID's and other pertinent things, and have "left it in the car," apparently on purpose? It really amazes me.

There are many age-restricted items. It's the law, and customer-service people who card are just following it. I card virtually anyone who is not obviously in their 70s or above.

There is nothing personal about it, but it isn't mindless, either. I actually look at and check the dates and do the math, and look at the person. Because the one time I don't and sell to someone I shouldn't is when I will lose my job.

Sorry, I don't care how old you are, or look. And yes, last week, I actually sent a guy running back out to his car for his ID before I would sell him the three 24-packs of beer he had loaded in his cart. My manager walks by and wonders why I'm just standing there, with my line backing up. So I tell her, "Guy didn't have his ID and went out to his car to get it."

Manager looks at the line again, shrugs, and says, "It's always better to be safe than sorry."

9. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

I was at a bar with a friend of mine who is 10 years my junior a couple of weeks ago. He struck up a conversation with two young ladies (they were 22) and the subject of our ages came up. They both thought he (who is 22) was 29 and they thought I was 25. He didn't hear the end of that all night. :)

10. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

I had a friend who's a year younger than me introduce me as his dad a couple of years ago -- and the people bought it. It wasn't funny, but it was.

On the subject or carding, I always thought the bars at O'Hare had it right -- they make it very clear, they card every single person, 1 to 99. I was in a bar there once and they carded the guy next to me, who was probably 80. He couldn't believe it. But it makes the policy very simple.

I can't decide what to do with the whole AARP thing. Discounts yes, but geez ...

11. bydesign77

bydesign77 Active Member

On this subject, don't get pissed if you get carded. I mystery shop locations on occasion to help companies ensure policy adherence. These clerks have a lot riding on their shoulders when it comes to alcohol or tobacco purchase, or even other now controlled type substances.

I don't blame them for carding everyone.

12. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

I guess that might be why some people who actually are senior citizens (and very obviously look the part) insist on paying full price when they could get the discount no questions asked?

Personally, I'd rather still be carded when I belly up to the bar than be offered a senior citizen discount.

And I have to second IJAG's comment. I've seen your picture on Facebook. You don't look like you're even approaching 40.

Draft saved Draft deleted