1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Senior Citizen???

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Lieslntx, Jul 10, 2011.

1. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

TTIUWOP

2. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

I'm 55 and mostly gray hair, and I've been getting this for at least 12-15 years. Basically, kids see two ages -- under 30 and over 30. They don't process actual age differences well. It's hard not to take it personally, but you shouldn't, at all.

Age is a funny thing in general. I see people who look "old" to me, and they're five years younger. When I was home in Madison when the mom thing was happening, I'd see somebody on the street I thought I recognized, and then realize that it was someone who looked like the person I thought it was did 30 years ago.

My peeve -- kids in their 20s are starting this whole, "What will you have, young man?" deal with me. Unintentionally condescending as hell; it drove me nuts when they did it to my mom and my mother-in-law, and now I'm getting it.

I'd rather they call me "Pops" or "Granddad," to be honest.

Anyway, LiesInTx, don't sweat it, although I'm sure you will. :) Lots of explanations beyond your appearance, though.

3. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

I realize it caught you offguard, but it's not like the kid intended to offend.

4. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

SF said what I tried to say last night about kids and the 30 over-under thing. I boiled it down to "heads up their asses."

5. holy bull

holy bull Active Member

It's probably similar to getting proofed for beer, simply a mindless knee-jerk question. I'm 48 and have mostly gray hair, and still get ID'd, certainly in the big supermarkets, where the kids are told to proof everybody who doesn't have earthworms crawling out of their eyes.

I understand how discomfitting it must be to be asked if you want the SR citizen discount. My brother turned 50 on Friday and revealed that he's already gotten an AARP letter. I'll be bracing for the same thing next year, and I won't like it.

6. Care Bear

Care Bear Guest

Kids really do have their heads up their asses. I was standing next to my 26-year-old sister in a goddamn Chili's restaurant a few months ago. After I gave her a big hug goodbye, this Glee asshole turned to me and said, "Is that your daughter?"

I'm apparently a VERY worn 32.

7. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Not to mention standing next to a senior citizen while acting as if being mistaken for a senior citizen is akin to being mistaken for a turd.

8. Lieslntx

Lieslntx Active Member

I was asked if I wanted the discount after I had mentioned to him that I was paying for my meal only, not for the one of the senior citizen standing next to me.

9. waterytart

waterytart Active Member

Which would mean your (maybe) oldest is 26 and your youngest is still on the way. You should have decked the kid for mistaking you for a Duggar.

10. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

From what I know of CB, she might have decked the kid, anyway. (Hello, CB ... not an insult, I promise ... )

Liesl, I doubt you'll want to hear this, but I'll try. Lots of senior citizens hit these places and assume they're getting the discount. Those who think they're not getting it, whether or not that's the case, start a near-war come time to open their wallet.

It's possible the kid might have given you the break if you said "yes." Likely the kid had painfully little awareness. Don't let it get to you (and it's understood that this is much easier said than done).

11. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Gum the kid's finger off or something.

12. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

I'm less than three months from 50 and I got carded at Walmart yesterday. Actually, Ms. Slappy got carded but didn't have her license with her. So I had to buy the beer and I got carded.. still....

Draft saved Draft deleted