1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sending resumes unsolicited

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by cubman, Apr 7, 2007.

1. cubman

cubman Member

We had the topic earlier this week on job postings that ask only for resumes - no clips or anything else. The rules seem pretty cut and dry there.
    That written, what is everyone's attitude on sending resumes unsolicited? I'm considering relocating to Texas from the Midwest to be nearer some family and my girlfriend/likely future wife (wouldn't do this if it weren't serious), and in the event I don't see many openings she asked me about just sending resumes and clips out to all the papers I could find regardless of whether there's a job posting or not.
    There's something about that that bothers me, though. Can't exactly put my finger on it, but I'm not terribly comfortable doing it. But could it hurt? I did it towards the end of my college career and it ended up getting me my first job. I think that was partly blind luck but it worked all the same.
    Then again, maybe my name and work will stick in the head of someone important and I'll be remembered if there's an opening.
    I just don't know about this approach. What are your feelings?

2. STLIrish

STLIrish Active Member

No. It can't hurt.
    For more perspective, see this thread on "Cold Sending" from earlier in the week.

http://www.sportsjournalists.com/forum/threads/39502/

3. SoSueMe

SoSueMe Active Member

I've done it a few times, for the same reasons you listed (get closer to home, the now-fiancee wanted to move, etc.)

I never got a job out of it, but I got some freelance work.

4. FileNotFound

FileNotFound Well-Known Member

It costs you the time to put together the resume and cover letter, and the postage. Fair investment, I'd say. As a hiring manager, I kept a file cabinet of resumes, solicited and otherwise. I went through all of them when it came time to hire.

Draft saved Draft deleted