1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sending my first batch of clips....

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Thanks for comin' out, Feb 5, 2007.

1. OK, I've got my 6-page resume that includes a first-person recap of my game-winning jumpshot against the big rival in high school, and along with that, I'm including my cover letter that is in the form of haiku.
    I'm ready for my first full-time job.

If I'm sending out resumes in bulk, what's the best way of finding out who to send it to? Is it always the SE? I figured some HR people may deal with it at other shops.

Yes, I know calling is an option, but if there was a more convenient way, I wanted to find out before I change my cellular plan.

Thanks for the help in advance and I will obviously appreciate the eventual bitching by some old people that hate giving young writers advice. Thanks.

2. writing irish

writing irish Active Member

YOU'RE HIRED!

3. writing irish

Kid, if you don't give enough of a shit about the job in question to make a phone call, you have no business applying for the job. Change your cell plan.

Good luck. :)

4. writing irish

Dear God. I just saw that. Hahahahahahahaha ;D

You're fucked. :D

Seriously, though: write a standard cover letter. Resume: one page. Trust me.

5. Well I debated whether I would hedge the "you don't care enough to make a phone call" stab in my original post to, but I figured it would be out of the way quickly.

I'll make 500 phone calls if I have to, that's not the issue.... but are you going to add up the batting averages for every single player on a team if all you have to do is flip to the 'statistics' page?

I was just seeing if a statistics page existed i.e. a list of editors online, list of job offer contacts, etc.

Just Kidding... I am too lazy to make a phone call..... I didn't know this business was so hard!!! I guess I'll just quit.

6. Appgrad05

Appgrad05 Active Member

I assumed the six-page resume and haiku were said in jest.

Seriously, send it to the sports editor. Send it to whoever the job ad says to send it to.

7. writing irish

I have lived around ultra-literal German-American midwesterners for so long that I no longer recognize certain kinds of tongue-in-cheek humor. It's kind of sad. I think I need to start reading Czech novels or something.

8. PTOWN

PTOWN Member

When I got out of college I sent out over 60 resumes to papers I thought I had a chance at getting a job at, when in reality I had no shot at getting better than an internship at any of them. That's exactly what happened. If you're sending in bulk like that, I don't think you have to make a phone call to each one. Make a few calls to the papers you think you have a shot at and e-mail the rest. I actually got my intership and first full-time job without making a call. If your clips are good, and you're young, which means cheap labor, They'll find you.

9. Yea, of course I would follow the directions of a job posting, but I was referring more to the 'cold-sending' of stuff to editors/HR...

10. subhead

subhead Member

Don't forget to send pictures of yourself playing basketball and letters of references from your parents.

11. WSKY

WSKY Member

I would suggest searching for a job you would actually want, not casting a net to see what you can get. By the sounds of it, after page 3 of your resume, it will land in the trash anyway.

12. If you cold send your resume/haiku cover letter/clip file to me, it's getting deposited in the file cabinet shaped like a garbage can.

Unless you're applying for a specific job, please don't send a resume to a SE without contacting him/her first. Nothing pisses us off more than getting a random resume in the mail from Johnny Bumblefuck with no explanation or warning. We have better things to do with our time.

Oh wait, no we don't.

But still ... call first.

Draft saved Draft deleted