1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sending from the road

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by OrangeGrad, Dec 6, 2007.

1. hankschu

hankschu Member

LOL. When we all used the Trash-80s, we had an old-timer on the beat who refused to get one of these newfangled machines. He had a bubble computer the size of a microwave oven that he brought to the press box. It had couplers on top and he stuck the phone on the couplers.

Now, there are some press boxes that have no phones for sending.

2. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

I live at Starbucks (my poor acid-scarred esophagus thanks me for that, btw) -- off the top of my head: $6 an hour, $10 for a 24-hour period, $30 per month (year contract), $40 per month (no contract) and a $10/month discount if you're a T-Mobile customer (I've been paying $20/month, no contract, but I'm about to drop it now that I've set up the wireless where I am now.

3. Walter Burns

Walter Burns Member

We use Verizon, and send stories and photos with little problem (except for one guy who, if left to his own devices, would probably write it on notebook paper and give it to a carrier pigeon).

4. deadliner

deadliner Member

Been there. Done that.

5. dargan

dargan Active Member

Whataburger is the most reliable, widespread wifi location we use. Either that or a Best Western/LaQuinta/other random motel lobby.

6. FileNotFound

FileNotFound Well-Known Member

In some cases, a random hotel parking lot works fine, too.

7. Stone Cane

Stone Cane Member

I can't emphasize enough what a ripoff T-Mobile is.

You can either pay $20 a month or whatever to use wireless in starbucks or you can pay $40 per month for an air card that you can use anywhere - waiting for a flight at the gate, in a deserted high scohol press box with no phones, at home, at starbucks, in your car (nothing like pulling over to the side of the road when you're lost and firing up maps.google.com)

very highly recommended

8. accguy

accguy Member

On a more serious note, I have ditched the Tandy 200.

I have also filed from the parking lot outside a closed coffee shop that has free wi-fi. Also once pirated wi-fi from the parking lot outside a county administration building/library.

Here is a site that's at least worth checking out before you head out to a game: http://www.wififreespot.com/

It's probably not complete and probably not completely accurate, but it will give you a starting point for the quest for wireless. My advice: get to the town a little early, roll by the place that is on the listing and check out to make sure the wireless works.

While Panera is a popular spot, another place that almost always has wi-fi is Buffalo Wild Wings.

9. NoOneLikesUs

NoOneLikesUs Active Member

Will this legislation kill free and open Wi-fi?

I thought this piece of crap passed by the house with only two dissenting votes is probably one of the most devastating pieces of legislation ever lobbed at the Internet. I'm surprised there hasn't been more discussion about it here.

Anyway..I send my work through my mobile phone. If I can't do that...cruising for Wi-fi it is.

10. Appgrad05

Appgrad05 Active Member

A few months ago I was sent to cover a high school football game in B.F.E. Ended up finding wireless access in those little hole-in-the-wall restaurant, which had already closed for the day. And it's only a mile or so away from the school, so I think I am good.
    I finish my gamer in the parking lot at the school, then drive down to the place. Pull up, and there is definitely a drug deal going on in the parking lot. After taking 30 seconds to realize my mistake in pulling up, and watching as both guys (in seperate cars) took a long gander at me, I pulled around and headed down the road. Ended up finding a Sleep Inn about 10 miles later that let me in.

11. MCbamr

MCbamr Member

Sprint card. Works great. Had Cingular in Louisiana, which went to crap after Hurricane Katrina.

12. loveyabye

loveyabye Guest

I tried that for a couple weeks when I moved once and it did not work well. It doesn't seem to work if you're on the computer pretty much all day. It would freeze a lot and I'd have to restart. It's better if you're using it for a few hours at a time. (I have Verizon.)

Draft saved Draft deleted