1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sending from the road

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by OrangeGrad, Dec 6, 2007.

1. pseudo

pseudo Well-Known Member

Had a thread on this a while back: http://www.sportsjournalists.com/forum/threads/41347/

Seems like Verizon and Sprint got mostly good reviews, but doesn't look like anyone addressed photos...

2. John

John Well-Known Member

McDonald's charges $2.95, I think. I'll do Panera if I'm filing during the day, but that's not an option at night.

And not only does Starbucks charge, but isn't the only option $10 for the day? Granted I'm always able to expense it, so it's not really a big deal.

3. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

I have home high-speed for the laptop, if I bought a wireless card could I just run off that puppy full-time and ditch the home connection? I'm pretty clueless about this stuff.

4. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

doesn't that encompass your entire area of circulation?

5. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

Only if you've got the acoustic couplers connected just right to the phone and your paper has an 800 number to call in on so you don't have to worry about running out of change midway through the call.

6. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

You can pay $6 if you're pretty sure you'll be done in one hour; if you go longer, you'll get hit with another $6 hour.

7. pressboxer

pressboxer Active Member

I think some of the places actually qualify as small dirt-ass towns, like almost 9,000 people. The tiny dirt-ass towns are the ones where the population might reach four figures.

8. John

John Well-Known Member

I haven't seen that. At the Starbucks I've been to it's T-Mobile for $10. There weren't any other options.

9. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Laugh all you want, but I've sent many times by using the wifi signal from outside -- a Piggly Wiggly

10. sportshack06

sportshack06 Member

Another thought, most sit-down restaurant establishments have a WiFi network in them.

Ruby Tuesdays, O'Charleys and Outback have been pretty reliable in the past.

11. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

one of my guys at my last shop made mcdonalds his internet whore.

12. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

I've had to file before by rolling through a neighborhood looking for a WiFi signal without a password. (This works pretty good.)

My company won't buy a wireless card. And I'm not paying for one.

Draft saved Draft deleted