1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sending clips

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Frylock, Jun 16, 2006.

1. Frylock

Frylock Member

I'm pretty sure I've seen discussions relating to clips here before, so I apologize in advance.
    I'm planning on sending out a fair number of application packages soon and I don't have any hard copies of some of the clips I'd like to use. Is it acceptable to send archive printouts of the stories?
    Thanks for any help.

2. PEteacher

PEteacher Member

My opinion: It's acceptable but not necessarily preferable. Go through the inconvenience of getting a hard copy or PDF file from the library and photocopy as many copies of your story that you need.

3. Riddick

Riddick Active Member

Maybe it's just me, but I prefer a hard copy printout. archive copies from the internet just bug me for some reason. like the writer didn't have the sense to create a portfolio.

4. SheaSeals

SheaSeals Member

I think it's OK. Just be careful for the reaction.

5. golfnut8924

golfnut8924 Guest

After I was laid off, my former SE was kind enough to let me in the building after deadline and gather some clips from the back issues. If you left on good terms with your editor, I bet they would do the same for you. Wouldn't hurt to ask. I think you'll find that most people are willing to help colleagues out in times like this.

Then I invested 20 bucks or so at a print shop to get quality copies made (they look much better than a standard copy machine. It's worth the extra effort).

Funny thing though, the first place I went to get my clips copied was Kinko's and they told me they couldn't legally make copies of newspaper clippings ........ despite the fact that I wrote the damn things. I didn't understand that one. Especially because the mom-and-pop place I went to next had no problem with it at all..

6. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

A friend of mine had that same problem at Kinkos.

7. txsportsscribe

txsportsscribe Active Member

that's standard procedure at kinkos

8. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Crikey, I've used Kinko's plenty of times, but always self-service. Even put together some really nice (albeit a bit expensive) color copies of section covers I designed.

9. golfnut8924

golfnut8924 Guest

I'm just curious why Kinkos refused to do it but the mom-and-pop shop I went to had no problem with it. Obviously it's not illegal or the mom-and-pop place wouldn't have done it either. So Kinkos must just have some lame ass policy in place for some unknown reason.

10. txsportsscribe

txsportsscribe Active Member

i believe kinkos got slapped with a copyright lawsuit several years ago so they're understandably skittish. and technically the clips most of us want to have copies made of aren't our property, they belong to the newspaper.

Draft saved Draft deleted