1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sending clips as a PDF

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by silkytransition, Aug 8, 2007.

1. txsportsscribe

txsportsscribe Active Member

i won't speak for others but as a hiring editor, i don't have a problem with e-mailed clips. read the ad to see how they want clips sent, don't just listen to someone on a message board who says never send clips by e-mail. and good grief, having a "why should i do all the work for them attitude," sounds like someone who has power issues that i'd rather avoid anyway.

2. John Newsom

John Newsom Member

If an employer specifically asks for e-mailed clips, then e-mail them. If they say no, don't. If they don't say either way, then go with your gut. (You're kind to keep them as small as possible.)

Our mistake I wrote about previously was not being ready for the flood of megabytes. (We didn't say one way or the other.) In hindsight, we should have seen it coming because the Intertubes have really taken on. Plus it was the first time I was on the hiring end of a job search. Next time we'll know better what to do.

Here's another tip for all of you clip e-mailers: Put your surname or full name in the file name. It's especially crucial for the resume, especially when 10 people send in something called resume.doc.

3. txsportsscribe

txsportsscribe Active Member

[quote author=John Newsom
    Here's another tip for all of you clip e-mailers: Put your surname or full name in the file name. It's especially crucial for the resume, especially when 10 people send in something called resume.doc.
    [/quote]

now that's good advice

4. I've been using my last name in the file name (XXXX-resume and XXXX-slug-date), but I can see where making it my full name (since it's short anyway) would be a benefit as well. Thanks for that tip.

5. Stop_Pre

Stop_Pre New Member

I have this same issue. I want to join pages into a single file (or, in the case of entire sections in pdf, remove unnecessary pages), but I don't want to plunk down $300 to use this single feature of Acrobat. Is there a way around this, or do I have to bite the bullet and buy Acrobat?

6. Jeremy Goodwin

Jeremy Goodwin Active Member

Do editors out there have problems with copy and pasting clips into a MS Word file? I'm applying for jobs, and that's what I've done when sending out e-mail packets. I know it doesn't look as pretty as a PDF, but I have links to all those stories at the top of page. The editor can't see the design or how the story was played, but I think the writing is more important than if it was a centerpiece. The file is only 100KB or so depending on how many clips they ask for, so I know it's not going to clog the inbox. And good call to those who mentioned putting your name in the file name. Mine are GoodwinResume or JGoodwinResume and GoodwinClips.

7. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

You can buy a program called deskPDF professional, which does the same stuff for $30 to $50 (forget the price now).

Draft saved Draft deleted