1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sending clips as a PDF

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by silkytransition, Aug 8, 2007.

1. Hey, this is something I'm unsure about and figured someone could help. I am trying to get my clips organized so they can be sent as a PDF with my resume if I'm e-mailing one out. I have access to a scanner, so that's not a problem. I'm just unsure what to do next, as in using Photoshop, Acrobat Reader or a powerpoint program to join all the clips together and make it one file. Any thoughts?

Thank you.

2. Hustle

Hustle Guest

I've not done this, but what I would do:

Put a story into an 8.5 x 11 blank Quark page, slap the headline on it. Save the page as an EPS, run it through Distiller. Ta-da.

Of course, that assumes you use Quark and have Distiller.

3. IBIS

IBIS Guest

Do you have a MacBook? If so, I can help.

4. Nah, I don't have a Mac. Just a PC notebook, but no quark on it. I was thinking photoshop would allow me to create a file where I just have them one after another, listed by a page. You would think Adobe Acrobat may allow me to do that?

5. Flash

Flash Guest

Acrobat should have a button that says 'Make PDF from multiple files.' Look for it.

6. Thanks! I will.

7. thegrifter

thegrifter Member

I would tell you not to send clips through e-mail. Most editors I know absolutely hate it.
    Why should they have to do all the work of printing your materials to put in a file if you're the one looking for a job? You should make it as easy for them as possible.

8. In Cold Blood

In Cold Blood Member

That's true, thegrifter, but when i went through the job hunt last spring, I ran across several ads that specifically requested e-mailed clips. So probably smart to have some kind of electronic portfolio prepared.

9. BRoth

BRoth Member

Ditto. A lot of jobs I recently applied to said they preferred e-mailed clips, so sometimes I sent it that way, sometimes I sent it through the mail, depending on how much interest I had.

I still prefer to send snail mail packets, but I've seen a few that specifically request clips and resumes through e-mail.

10. John Newsom

John Newsom Member

Whatever you do, read the help wanted ad carefully. Some folks want e-mailed clips. Some folks don't.

Me? I don't want 'em. Not directly, anyway -- the next time we hire someone, I'll route them to another account. Here's why:

At our paper, our e-mail box storage are capped at 30 MB, and most days my boss and I have 20-25 MB worth of crap in there. (Most of it is garbage, but you never know. I panicked tonight when in a fit of cleaning I spiked the list of golfers who had committed to next week's PGA event. Good think I wasn't the only person to have gotten that e-mail.)

The last time we hung out the shingle, folks were sending in 5-10 MB worth of clips. Trust me: You do not endear yourself to a prospective boss when he has to clean out his Outlook account just so he can send an e-mail.

- John Newsom

11. Googlaw

Googlaw Member

I agree. Every person that emailed their design clips to me crashed my computer. Please, please, please don't email them. Send a link to your npd.com portfolio or send them through the mail.

12. Now here's a question along these lines. The jobs I've recently applied for have asked for clips to be e-mailed and I did my best to reduce the size of the PDFs for the very reasons mentioned above.

I am strongly considering hosting PDFs of my clips on my personal Web site and directing people that don't want e-mailed clips to that site. Some people would suggest links to the online stories, but one of my former papers have very little free access to its online archives. I've since made PDFs of all of my stories from that paper via a database at my current place and keep them at home.

There's not a site (AFAIK) similar to Sportshooter or NewsPageDesigner, so I don't see how a personal site for reporters would be a bad idea. Then again, I might be totally missing some simple problem with the idea.

Draft saved Draft deleted