1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sending a clip with a correction

Discussion in 'Writers' Workshop' started by quinone42, Jun 16, 2014.

1. quinone42

quinone42 New Member

I think the title is fairly self-explanatory. I want to send in a clip to different job openings of a story that I think is a really solid featurey trend piece, but the problem is that it has a correction. Should I avoid sending it?

2. FusilliJerry

FusilliJerry Member

Certainly depends what the correction is.

3. quinone42

quinone42 New Member

The gist of it was that I said that a certain group of students in the U.S. must do X type of thing if they want employment. X type of thing is the most common, but it's not a requirement--there are other options. It was not a fundamental part of the article, but it was an important detail for background/context.

4. Liut

Liut Well-Known Member

There are still editors and readers that respect a reporter for his/her willingness to acknowledge a mistake and correct it.

Real simple: it shows the reporter cares. Kudos to you for possessing the trait!

It's risky but if you think the piece is that good - do it.

5. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

I'd lean away from it unless that's a really killer clip. The correction will definitely stick out.

6. PaperDoll

PaperDoll Well-Known Member

Is the correction actually printed on or somehow attached to the clip? There are obviously ethical considerations, but if not, how would a hiring editor know it exists?

7. quinone42

quinone42 New Member

Thanks for the advice so far, everyone. There's a correction listed at the top of the article on the web page it's located at.

8. Liut

Liut Well-Known Member

Just a suggestion but you might consider submitting your question to Ben Marrison, editor at The Columbus (Ohio) Dispatch. I still have a copy of one of his columns a few years back in which he stated how much The Dispatch cherishes accuracy over speed and how important it was to correct on-line stories weeks, even months, after the fact.

He might give you some insightful feedback.

9. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

It just screams to me "I don't write good stuff very often and thus don't have any other clips without corrections to use."

10. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

Yeah, that's kind of my take on it too.

11. champ_kind

champ_kind Well-Known Member

Doesn't that much-celebrated David Foster Wallace piece on Federer at Wimbledon come with a correction? Not saying this is the same, but if it's definitely your best work ...

Draft saved Draft deleted