1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Senator Tom Harkin (D-Iowa) in trouble

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by CarltonBanks, Jul 26, 2011.

1. CarltonBanks

CarltonBanks New Member

You cannot do this, Senator Harkin:
    http://dailycaller.com/2011/07/26/harkin-staff-collaborated-with-interest-group-outside-law-firm-to-edit-witness-testimony/

I actually like Tom Harkin. He is a really nice guy. At a previous job I had to spend some time with Harkin and members of the Ethanol lobby on Capitol Hill (it was related to racing) and enjoyed my time with him. Actually, somewhere on the Internets there is a picture of myself posing with Tom Harkin and then junior senator from Illinois, Barack Obama (I was shaking Obama's hand). I hope that photo is lose in some crazy online wormhole or something.
    Anyway, this is turning into a bit of a witchhunt...one the Dems should have known was coming when they lost control of the House. But I honestly think they thought they would control the House forever.

2. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Re: Another Democrat in trouble

Two Repubilcan state senators in Ohio have been arrested for suspicion of drunken driving in the last three months. One, a married "family values" rep with three kids, had a stripper in his car in Indiana. He's been hiding ever since it was discovered, a fine example of Republican bootstrapping.

3. D-3 Fan

D-3 Fan Well-Known Member

Regardless of party lines, if these allegations are true, it's very disturbing, given that Harkin represents my state. Hell, I don't think anyone in Iowa has heard of this. If they have, then no one outside of his office, or some insiders have uttered a word of it.

I have heard of witnesses being "prepped" if they have never taken the stand before in a trial or lawsuit, meaning that they have learn how to stick to their story, if cross-examined, and to remain calm since testifying can be an anxiety-riddled experience.

I'm going to keep an eye on this to see how this pans out.

4. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Um, what does Tom Harkin have to do with the House? He's a Senator and a member of the majority party.

5. printdust

printdust New Member

Arrogance.

And if the GOP gets control, if they're as arrogant as they were when they had control, they'll lose it again. Neither side has shown an inclination to "get it."

6. Double J

Double J Active Member

I think it should be a requirement here that if you're going to start a thread about a politician fucking up, the thread title should refer to his status as a politician rather than his affiliation with a particular party.

7. suburbia

suburbia Active Member

Because it's all about using the power of controlling part of government to better oneself than to actually accomplish positive things. People get to Washington, see the power that they have and the perks that come with it, and naturally get corrupted. And the system is designed to protect them.

8. FleetFeet

FleetFeet Member

Doesn't the title of the thread, by designating whether the individual is a Democrat or Republican, by extension designate his status as a politician?

9. Double J

Double J Active Member

Obviously. But it also generally indicates that the thread has been started by someone whose politics, shall we say, lean toward the other end of the spectrum. And that's when the hounds tend to get released.

10. CarltonBanks

CarltonBanks New Member

I changed the title of the thread to point out exactly who is in trouble. Is that better?

11. Double J

Double J Active Member

"It's perfect! You're hired!!!" [/foxnews]

Draft saved Draft deleted