1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Senate proposes Internet "kill switch"

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Batman, Jun 18, 2010.

1. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

A Senate draft bill proposes giving the President the power to "kill" the Internet during times of national emergency. It's mainly designed to prevent a massive cyberattack, but there's lots of things to be wary -- hell, downright scared -- of here. It's not the first time they've tried this, apparently, so let's hope it dies a quick and fiery death.

There's also this, which seems like a handwritten invitation to abuse...

http://cbs4.com/technology/internet.freedom.regulation.2.1757643.html

2. Point of Order

Point of Order Active Member

Another attempt at censorship from "Holy" Joe Lieberman. Bad idea.

3. terrier

terrier Well-Known Member

Hadassah Leiberman, please stop slipping crack in your husband's coffee.

4. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

I am sure all of Joe's close warm personal friends will jump right on this bandwagon with him.

5. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Let's keep this on topic folks - the Internet kill switch - and not let it become a politics thread.
    Violate it and you have to take a Strasburg fastball to the head. The helmetless head.

6. 21

21 Well-Known Member

Terrific plan, cutting off all information from the public during mass crisis. That should instill a great sense of security, when no one can find out what's happening or what they should be doing. Outstanding.

7. HandsomeHarley

HandsomeHarley Well-Known Member

It's not his fastball that's scary. I think it's the slider. ::)

8. crimsonace

crimsonace Well-Known Member

For anyone in our profession, this is *scary*.

The First Amendment protects freedom of the press. Like it or not, the information superhighway means "the press" is increasingly online. Kill the Internet, and you suddenly have an opportunity to censor the press in the manner that is somewhat chilling.

As a (soon to be) journalism teacher, I'm preparing students for a world that will largely involve/include online journalism. This bill MUST be killed at all costs.

9. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

But then print makes a comeback. :)

10. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

If Strasburg isn't over his pitch limit, maybe he can wing one under Lieberman's chin for proposing this idiotic legislation.

11. MartinEnigmatica

MartinEnigmatica Active Member

I can't remember which dystopian novel this plot line is from.

12. EagleMorph

EagleMorph Member

I think George Orwell cut it from 1984 because it was too nightmarish.

Draft saved Draft deleted