1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Senate dropping "END OF LIFE CLAUSE" from bill

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by RedSmithClone, Aug 14, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RedSmithClone

RedSmithClone Active Member

Just saw a breaking report that the Senate is planning to drop the "END OF LIFE CLAUSE" from its bill. Why? What does this mean? Is this the beginning of the rope a dope mentioned in another thread that will make Blue Dogs look good if the go along with the bill?
  2. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

It means absurdly stupid claims about death panels and shit won out over reasoned, sensible, and sensitive processes that actually help people. The fact so many people thought discussions about hospice care options and the like is something scary shows just how fucking stupid so many Americans are, and how fucking perverse, pathetic, and detestable many of the mouthpieces on the right have become.
  3. andyouare?

andyouare? Guest

It's weird. That end of life clause was proposed by a Republican and passed unanimously in the health committee's version of health reform bill, a committee that included Republicans.

But if dropping a voluntary, Medicare-covered consultation about end-of-life options with your doctor clears the path for health care reform, whatever.

Rope a dope? If that's what it was, it's freaking genius. Although, I believe the "death panel!" stuff started from the far right. I don't see how anyone could have seen that coming.
  4. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

That's a shame. I was hoping to be on a death squad. I bet the bribes would have been out of this world.
  5. finishthehat

finishthehat Active Member

Why? Republican voted for the exact same thing in 2003 (Including Chuck Grassley):

6. PeteyPirate

PeteyPirate Guest

These dishonest fucks are going to succeed in stalling progress on something important.
  7. ifilus

ifilus Active Member

Anything goes?
  8. andyouare?

andyouare? Guest

I assume it was an editorial decision on Red's part indicating the notion of death panels was too crazy and sillly for the Politics board.
  9. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

So does that mean we're not going to die anymore? Really surprised to see the Fox and Friends crew lamenting the decision to drop that part of the bill, explaining how it would help provide better treatment to patients and keep doctors from providing treatment the patients don't really want but aren't in a position to object to.
  10. RedSmithClone

RedSmithClone Active Member

Now Grassley is saying all that stuff should be talked about and decided by family - not government or private insurance. Of course it's currently part of the system so I really think it's to show some compromise.
  11. bananafish

bananafish Guest

Grassley-Palin Nazi Death Panels!
  12. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I am really confused on this issue. Seems to me conservatives are against wasteful government spending. What could be more wasteful that giving terminal cancer granny a boob job and a hip replacement?

You know those old codgers are just going to run up all the free medical treatments they can get in their last days.

Join the death squad! Be for less government and fewer people to govern!!!!
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.