1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sen. Obama to Declare Victory On May 20th

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Deeper_Background, May 8, 2008.

1. Deeper_Background

Deeper_Background Active Member

Obama plans to declare victory May 20
    By DAVID PAUL KUHN | 5/8/08 11:55 AM GMT

Not long after the polls close in the May 20 Kentucky and Oregon primaries, Barack Obama plans to declare victory in his bid for the Democratic presidential nomination.

And, until at least May 31 and perhaps longer, Hillary Clinton’s campaign plans to dispute it.

It’s a train wreck waiting to happen, with one candidate claiming to be the nominee while the other vigorously denies it, all predicated on an argument over what exactly constitutes the finish line of the primary race.

The Obama campaign agrees with the Democratic National Committee, which pegs a winning majority at 2,025 pledged delegates and superdelegates—a figure that excludes the penalized Florida and Michigan delegations. The Clinton campaign, on the other hand, insists the winner will need 2,209 to cinch the nomination—a tally that includes Florida and Michigan.

http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0508/10184.html

2. markvid

markvid Guest

Re: Obama to Declare Victory May 20

My itching is back...must be another outbreak.

3. Deeper_Background

A smart pre-emptive attack before Hilly tries to steal the election on May 31.

4. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Um, OK.

The only problem to your big "scoop" is, Obama mathematically can't get to even 2,025 until the convention. So an Obama declaration of victory can't happen until either a) Clinton concedes, or b) it goes to the floor in Denver.

5. Deeper_Background

Not if the supes flock in droves to O before June 15. (and the Michigan & Florida delegations are not seated May 31) :) "A senior campaign official and Clinton confidante has told me that there will be a Democratic nominee by June 15. He could not bring himself to say the words 'Hillary will drop out by June 15,' but that is clearly what he meant. I kept saying, 'So, Hillary will drop out by June 15,' and he kept saying, 'We will have a nominee by June 15.' He stressed what a reasonable person Hillary is.

Everything about our conversation implied that he had already had this reality-based discussion with Hillary. He said the Clinton campaign plan is to collect as many votes and delegates as they can right through June 3, then take no more than a week or so to make their case to the superdelegates. Nothing he said indicated that he actually expected the superdelegates to move to Hillary in the week after the final election. The Clinton campaign has not lost its grip on reality. Yes, Clinton spokespersons publicly seem to be lost on gravity-free planet Clinton, but privately they know the end is near." http://www.huffingtonpost.com/lawrence-odonnell/hillary-will-drop-out-by_b_100625.html

6. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

I give up.

7. Oggiedoggie

Oggiedoggie Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  8. Deeper_Background

[​IMG]

9. Re: Obama to Declare Victory May 20

If Deeper Background says its true, then it is. Unless it isn't.

10. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

D_B will post the election winner for us next February. So stay tuned.

11. jgmacg

jgmacg Guest

Try the unguent.

12. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

Does it really matter if Obama declares victory? Does saying he's won actually mean he's won?

If that's the case, then tomorrow I'm going to declare my victory over having to work, but that I should still be paid for being such a dynamic presence at work.

Draft saved Draft deleted