1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sen. John Warner (R-Va.) announces retirement

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Hustle, Aug 31, 2007.

1. Hustle

Hustle Guest

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070831/ap_on_re_us/warner2008;_ylt=AhCmD.T6GOpt5jd8.WbaA8.s0NUE

Me personally, I would have voted for him for as long as he wanted to serve. He doesn't always get caught up in the partisanship - his recent statements on Iraq, his leadership in the Gang of 14 that prevented the nuclear/constitutional option - but, of course, he had the stature and the seniority to do so.

And that doesn't even speak to the fascinating life he led otherwise... I have as much respect for him as I do anyone in that place.

So who's next? Mark Warner? Somehow I'm on an e-mail list for him and got a statement regarding John Warner's announcement:

So don't ask, you nosy bastards.

2. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

Yeah, Mark Warner is going to run, and is probably a slight favorite to win. His biggest competition would come from Tom Davis, who is a class act and one of the more respectable members of congress. I wouldn't have a problem voting for either one of those guys. If Jim Gilmore gets the GOP nod, I'm pretty sure Warner has enough to beat him. Obviously it'd be close, but Gilmore would need every hillbilly in the southwest to vote for him since he won't have an icecube's prayer in hell of getting more than a dozen or so votes out of northern Virginia.

3. expendable

expendable Well-Known Member

How about Neil Cantor? The VA Repubs aren't going to run any Republican from a district not deemed safe, but Cantor's district is solidly Republican.

4. I think Mark Warner walks in.

5. Hustle

Hustle Guest

I think Davis puts up a good fight - and I do agree with Headbutt's assessment - but I think too many non-NoVa people will look at him and think of how much they hate us. :)

Warner was born here and still lives here, but I think he made a good impression while he was governor; I would tend to think those who despise NoVa would be more forgiving to him.

6. Flying Headbutt

Who the hell is Neil Cantor?

Hustle, that's why I think Gilmore has a better shot in a primary against Davis. Statewide he loses. The whole budget there is totally fucked because of his four miserable years as governor. Statewide, Davis is both moderate and conservative enough to give Warner a run for his money. He'll pick up a lot of support early on too. I'm not sure he can win the primary though.

It's a yellowbrick road for Mark Warner. That'll be 52-48 next year.

7. FH --
    I think expendable was going for this guy.
    http://cantor.house.gov/default.htm

8. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

Can you run for U.S. Senate on a "no car tax" platform?

9. expendable

Yeah, Eric Cantor. Whoops.

10. Flying Headbutt

I suppose he's someone a lot of residents would go for. But he's fairly low in the Virginia hierarchy of sorts. Name recognition isn't his thing, be it for good or bad things.

11. expendable

The Republican Party of Virginia needs a new face, so he's as good as any. They're getting raked over the coals in almost every statewide race. My reasoning is that if the party decides to bump up a representative, it had best do it with someone from a district that will remain Republican no matter what. Plus, the fact that he's Jewish could help sway some NoVa voters away from Mark Warner.

12. Flying Headbutt

I very much doubt that last statement. And two years ago Republicans were voted in as Lt. Governor and AG, alongside a Democratic governor. The support is there as long as an assclown doesn't get the GOP nomination. Unfortunately Jim Gilmore is an assclown, and thus will not win a statewide race. Tom Davis is too moderate. But those are your two early favorites.

Draft saved Draft deleted