1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sen. John Kerry to hold senate hearings on newspaper industry

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Drip, Apr 21, 2009.

1. sportsed

sportsed Member

It's about the fourth estate, not players on steroids. It could be argued that the press' historical role as watchdog should not be allowed to wither away, but preserved as a public good. At the very least, I'd be interested in hearing how today's media moguls intend to protect that charge while molding a new business model.

2. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

One of John Kerry's staff members and trusted confidant is Doug(las) Frantz, one of the most respected journalists of this generation.

3. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

A bunch of senators with some newspaper publishers and editors under oath. This is a skit that writes itself.
    I mentioned it in a post last night, but David Simon of "The Wire," was the guest on Bill Moyers Journal on Friday and he has some interesting thoughts, a transcript is available at Moyers website.

4. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

If John Kerry needs Senate hearings to know what happened in the newspaper industry, he wasn't smart enough to be President.

5. thestatman

thestatman Member

Think his botox is influencing his decisions?

6. clutchcargo

clutchcargo Active Member

Hey, I wasn't the one who brought Kerry into this thread. But one you politicize any thread here, which this does, it's fair game.

I honestly think Kerry is just an opportunist who happens top be a pretty smart guy and I don't quesiton his patriotism, but I cnan't put my finger on anything significant he's done for USA, and this sounds like he's just patronizing the print media.

All this to save "hundreds of job"???? As much as I"m obviously biased in favor of the newspaper industry getting some help, if it's employees he is concerned about, he might want to focus on the auto industry or some such.

I just htink Kerry's best days, whatever they were, are behind him. And if you don't like that OPINION, tough.

7. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

Oh, you mean Sen. Benjamin Cardin (D-Md.)?

I'm also leery of the prospect of government help for newspapers. If we become beholden to those whom we're supposed to watch, what does that do for our responsibilities as the public's watchdogs?

Of course, closing shops doesn't help said responsibilities either...

8. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

FT, in a lot of regards the various news orgs have already allowed themselves to become beholden to government on various levels through legislation, tax breaks or other action. I

9. doggieseatdoggies

doggieseatdoggies New Member

Damn Kerry. Had he spewed this four years ago as a man of vision before the shit really hit the fan, I'd voted for him.

On the other hand, while Gannett and Tribune will be lining up with cash bags, companies like CNHI and McClatchy will think of it as a bad idea and continue to bleed their human resources dry.

10. Angola!

Angola! Guest

So, you are one of the reasons I had to suffer another four years under that piece of shit george bush*?

* denotes that cocksucker doesn't deserve capitalization

11. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

I greatly respect Sen. Kerry and worked on his 2004 presidential campaign as a volunteer.

I hope he and his colleagues have more success on this endeavor than they did with baseball players taking roids, bankers taking bonuses, army people torturing Arabs or just about anything else they've investigated since the turn of the century.

12. Drip

Drip Active Member

Which is why he didn't get my support.

Draft saved Draft deleted