1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sen. John Kerry to hold senate hearings on newspaper industry

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Drip, Apr 21, 2009.

1. Drip

Drip Active Member

I haven't seen this on the board. Sen. Kerry is going to find out what has happened to newspapers.
    http://www.editorandpublisher.com/eandp/news/article_display.jsp?vnu_content_id=1003964193

2. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

You only hold hearing on our industry when we're down!

3. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

Bloggers: We try just as hard!

4. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

The Senate's going to cost some reporters a scholarship!

5. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

I voted for him for president in 2004 and still have a generally good impression of him, but I don't think politicans can (or should) help the newspaper industry and this is a waste of time that could be spent on something else.

6. Drip

Drip Active Member

I am inclined to agree with you. Perhaps he hopes to uncover a conspiracy.

7. I tried not to laugh.

8. clutchcargo

clutchcargo Active Member

When John Kerry starts sticking his nose into something is when I get concerned. Best thing for newspapers would be for Kerry to do an about-face and run away. Just like he did when he saw danger in Vietnam. Please.

9. daemon

daemon Well-Known Member

Damn it.

Two hours and 23 minutes.

I had the under.

10. I Digress

I Digress Guest

You know, if you've done any reading, Kerry's senate record is pretty solid...

I like this quote...

"America's newspapers are struggling to survive -- and while there will be serious consequences in terms of the lives and financial security of the employees involved, including hundreds at the Globe, there will also be serious consequences for our democracy where diversity of opinion and strong debate are paramount," Kerry wrote in a letter sent to union leaders Friday, according to the Globe.

At least one politician gets it....

11. J-School Blue

J-School Blue Member

I respect the hell out of John Kerry's political record (though I very much wish someone else had gotten the '04 nomination).

I'm not sure what to make of this, really. On one hand, I'm glad someone's paying attention to the problem. On the other, the industry's wounds are largely self-inflicted, and I'm not sure how much good exactly can come from this. At best, I suppose it could lead to wider interest in alternative-ownership models (like that Maryland congressman's bill that'd allow newspapers to become limited-profit corporations, or more interest in non-profit models like Pro Publica), or even serious discussion about the way Internet aggregators appropriate content without compensation to its originators.

At worst, I picture the CEOs of Gannett and Tribune Co. and the like lining up with giant bags to collect bail-out money. :'(

12. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

Can't agree with that. I know we spend a lot of time complaining about the stupid things owners and publishers do, but none of them invented Craiglist or any of the rest of the internet that is undercutting our ad sales, which is the real reason papers are in trouble.

Draft saved Draft deleted