1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sen. Hagel to retire

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by sportschick, Sep 8, 2007.

1. pallister

pallister Guest

Fenian, my assertion that you're partisan is hardly without foundation. Next you're gonna tell me you are a moderate Democrat. Hell, if Harry Reid is a moderate in your mind, it wouldn't be much of a logical jump. And if Harry Reid's abortion stance makes him a moderate, then, by your definition, Rudy Giuliani is a moderate Republican. Do you believe that?

And just to throw you a bone:

Hagel
    McCain
    Schwarzenegger
    Specter

Just to name a few.

EDIT: Micro, that response is pure bullshit. Are you implying I'm downplaying his service because I don't think he fits the definition of a moderate Democrat who is at the party's center of power? He ran before and didn't fare too well. I just don't think he comes back after that long of a layoff and is a serious contender for the presidency.

2. jimmymcd

jimmymcd Guest

Olympia Snowe and Susan Collins of Maine could certainly be classified as moderate R's

3. No, but your asserttion that, because I didn't name any Republican moderates, there aren't any is without foundation, and I don't think that answering as civil question constitutes throwing someone a bone, but, then again, I'm not being a dickhead on here tonight.
    Arnold, I'll give you.
    Specter, too.
    McCain, on campaign finance, but not on much else.
    Giuliani is, in fact, a moderate on some social issues, which I will grant you.
    Remember, though, your original asertion was that moderates don't have any power, and you named a presidential candidate, the governor of the largest state in the Union, and the ranking member of the party on the Senate Judiciary Committee.
    Careful while backing up over your own feet there.
    jimmymc gave you two more -- although, significantly, Collins is in real trouble. You didn't mention Chris Shays, so there's another one.

4. [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  5. pallister

pallister Guest

I'm pretty sure I said moderates rarely have any power, and I think we'd both be surprised if Giuliani got the nomination specifically because of his "moderate" stance on abortion and social issues. And Arnold will face the same hurdles in the future if he pursues national office. Just like an anti-abortion Democrat would if they chose to seek the presidency. Right now, there's a political ceiling even for legitmately moderate members of both parties. I don't see that changing anytime soon, on either side of the aisle.

6. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

Without a constitutional amendment, Arnie will never be able to seek a national office, unless you consider the Senate a national office. Naturalized citizens can't run for the presidency.

7. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

We know that kind of sleeze attack has never been done before against a Democrat candidate, right?

8. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

There is only one issue.

With Hagel gone, Nebraska gets either a pro-Iraq Democrat who I have campaigned in New Hampshire (!) on behalf of, Bob Kerrey, or a Republican who's in the Bush cabinet right now. Sounds like an upgrade either way.

9. pallister

pallister Guest

What's your point, that my take on Kerrey's status as a powerful member of his party and a presidential candidate is a sleazy attack?

Or are you trying to say that Democrats are pure and innocent when it comes to the politics of personal attacks?

10. I thought abortion wasn't a defining issue enough to make Harry Reid a moderate. But it is enough of one to make Rudy unelectably moderate as a presidential candidate, which apprently now how we're defining "near the center of power," which is where you said no moderates are.
    This is a bit confusing.
    Again, Henry, by all means, define your politics by continuing the clusterfuck. That will sel magnificently come '08.

11. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

The self-blindfolding artists are remarkable.

My-adoptive-father-was-a-GREAT-role-model Rove brought dirty tricks and wallowing in pigshit to
    an entirely-new level . . . to out detriment, as a nation.

Draft saved Draft deleted