1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sen. Hagel to retire

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by sportschick, Sep 8, 2007.

1. Find me another issue on which he's broken with the party.

2. pallister

pallister Guest

Micro, a moderate ain't what it used to be, and having to go back 35-40 years to make your point proves mine.

FH, I stand by my statement, no matter how passionately you disagree.

3. You're right.
    The crazies ran most of the moderates out of the party over the last 20 years, and the ones that were left got massacred in '08.
    I'm dying to know who you consider a moderate Republican.

4. pallister

pallister Guest

There are very few moderates on either side of the aisle, and if you disagree with that, you're more blindly partisan than I thought. Both parties have lurched further to their respective sides of the spectrum to the point that a Rockefeller moderate or a traditional conservative Democrat usually is not going to be part of the party's power base. And to my earlier point, many of those deemed moderates these days take stands more out of political opportunity than ideological belief.

5. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Yeah, pallister, that's what we need, more polarization. ::)

6. pallister

pallister Guest

Did I say we needed that? Go waste your posts somewhere else.

7. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

In so many words. And fuck off, asshole.

8. Moderate-to-conservative Democrats include both Nelsons, but especially the one from Nebraska. Rep. Brian Baird. Future candidate Bob Kerrey, Senator Bob Casey, Jr. and, I would argue, the Blue Dogs who drove the compromise/surrender on both the FISA bill and the lkast Iraq funding bill. And the majority leader of the Senate is anti-abortion.
    Moderate-to-liberal Republicans would include...

For a further illustration, here's the House tally on the FISA bill.
    http://clerk.house.gov/evs/2007/roll836.xml

And the Iraq vote.
    http://clerk.house.gov/evs/2007/roll425.xml
    86 D's cross the line. Two R's.

QED

9. pallister

pallister Guest

Dools, you're doing a wonderful job to limit the awful polarization that defines our political discourse. Keep it up.

Fenian, I never said moderates don't exist (and unlike you I can admit they exist on both sides, which shows which one of us is more moderate in our thinking), but, again, they will rarely be at the center of power. And please don't use "future candidate Bob Kerrey" as a way of proving me wrong. Bob Kerrey? Seriously.

10. Harry Reid, the majority leader of the US Senate, is anti-abortion.
    Bob Kerrey's position on taxation, entitlement spending and, most importantly, the war, puts him to the right of the majority of the country -- let alone his party -according to every poll I've seen.
    You assert that there are "moderates" on both sides. I present you with the Democrats. You decline to name a single Republican, and then assert, without foundation, that I am a partisan because I didn't mention any.
    You've passed into foofhood,son.

11. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Yeah. lost a leg in Vietnam. Not enough of a George Bush/Karl Rove patriot, just like Kerry.

12. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

I'd love to see Bob Kerrey make a political comeback. Voted for him in the primaries in '88 when he ran for President. In '04 I was hoping for a Kerry/Kerrey ticket.
    Since Kerrey is the president of the New School in NYC and has been living in NY for several years now, would he return to Nebraska to run for the Senate or would he just run for the seat Hillary's going to vacate?

Draft saved Draft deleted