1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sen. Hagel to retire

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by sportschick, Sep 8, 2007.

1. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

2. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

Good riddance.

I the Republicans aren't going to control the Senate, then there needs to be a purge of like Hagel, who seems more concerned about being accepted by the kool (Kos?) kids in the cloakroom.

It may well turn out to be an ugly 2008 for Republicans in the Senate, but only in terms of helping to assure a longer-term realignment of real Republicans who can focus on regaining control of the Senate down the line.

3. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

So the fact that he doesn't march lockstep with the party leadership makes him expendable? So I guess anyone with moderate views isn't a "real" Republican.

4. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

Yeah, good luck getting the Senate back by moving FURTHER to the right. That'll win a whole lot of votes.

Bloomberg/Hagel '08!

5. By all means, attach yourself to the war that 70 percent of the country hates, and which is the only issue on which Hagel disagrees with the party. Become the Iraq Party in '08.
    You sound like a Democrat, HH.

6. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Can't believe the RWs don't get behind Ron Paul in lockstep . . . at least he believes in what the GOP USED to believe in, i. e. leaving people the hell alone . . .

7. Beaker

Beaker Active Member

Wow, so you don't like a Republican who stands up to the president's delusions? What a shock.

8. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

I think I'd prefer he marched more in lockstep with the party than he usually does. He disagrees with his party on more than just Iraq. The last thing I'd want to see is him a Jim Jeffords and defect.

Hey, maybe he'd make a good VP candidate. Maybe the guy's just burned out and ready for a break.

9. spup1122

spup1122 Guest

Every report I've seen on this has anonymous sources and if I were Hagel, I'd be pissed. Lots of speculation says Mike Johanns will run or former Senator Bob Kerrey will come back and run, but if I were Hagel and saw all of these...Well, I'll put it this way. I'd love to see Hagel come out and say he's running again (not because I like him, but just because I'm tired of so many anonymous officials spoiling announcements that have big implications)

I'm sure that's dumb and I have no problem with that. I just think it would be pretty funny.

10. pallister

pallister Guest

The left side of the aisle doesn't get to decide whom the real Republicans are.

A "moderate" is just another word for a politician who doesn't believe in anything.

As much as I disagree with liberals, the "real" ones at least believe strongly in their ideology. Hagel was more opportunist than idealist.

11. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Yeah, Nelson Rockefeller, Gerald Ford, Margaret Chase Smith, George H. Bush, Mark Hatfield, Everett Dirkson, and even Nixon, all those 1960-70-era reasonable Republicans who hadn't had their "Come to Jesus" moment, were such wafflers and had no convictions.

12. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

That may be the biggest bullshit statement said on this board today. I'm a moderate and I can get pretty damn passionate about how I feel about politics. I just don't happen to think the loonie liberals are always right, nor are the right-wing whackos always right.

Draft saved Draft deleted