1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Semipro football player dies because of hit on field

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by spikechiquet, May 13, 2012.

1. spikechiquet

spikechiquet Well-Known Member

Forgot to post this yesterday, and will add additional info once we get it up on the site:

http://www.toledoblade.com/local/2012/05/12/Semipro-football-player-suffers-fatal-hit-in-benefit-game-at-Springfield-High-School.html

A 32-year old father of 5 girls (who did not play high school football) died during a semipro fund raiser on Saturday afternoon during a punt return. He was hit in the chest by a helmet (a crack-back block) and it was a legal hit.

UPDATE: http://www.toledoblade.com/local/2012/05/14/Semipro-teams-mourn-death.html

2. Sea Bass

Sea Bass Well-Known Member

That's a horrible story. But I don't get the part about him not playing high school ball. He was playing semipro when he died, what's the relevance of not having played in high school? I'm not trying to be snarky, I'm just wondering if you're making a point I'm missing.

3. spikechiquet

I'm just pointing it out...it was something that wasn't in the story that is linked (but is mentioned in the upcoming story for Monday) that I found interesting talking with our reporter. It's a fact, was just stating it as such.

4. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Tragic. Just like the horse that died, perhaps one of those things that no amount of medicine or training could have prevented.

5. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Then you should probably have someone edit the cutline on the photo included in the update.

6. spikechiquet

Fricken web editors! Thanks!

7. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Some of the reader comments are trite, random and bizarre:

Prayers going up to his family......a brother on the grid iron has fallen, RIP David Coleman....
    Reply · 3 ·
    · 19 hours ago

Lakeland Saints · Lakeland, Florida
    Praying for the family and team.
    Reply ·
    · 17 hours ago
    Russell Bergdorf
    Wow sorry to hear that prayers out to his family
    Reply ·
    · 14 hours ago

Montez Brooks · Washtenaw Community College
    (REST IN PARADISE) MY HEART AND PRAYER GOES TO THE FAMILY...THIS MOMENT WAS A EYE OPENER AND VERY TOUCHING.
    Reply · 2 ·
    · 7 hours ago

Mike Tucker · Vvc
    RIP.......so sorry for the loss of he's family and friends this is raw and unexspected thing....so tragic.
    Reply · 2 ·
    · 17 hours ago

Tommy Tyks
    From the Assistant Commissioners Office of the Continental Indoor Football League; we express our deepest sympathy and offer condolences in this tragic loss to one of the "family" of football. When one of the "Family" falls we all suffer the agony that encompasses the immediate family to the fallen. May the devine spirits look after him and his family.
    Reply ·
    · 18 hours ago

John Jackson · Graduate Architect at Mussett Nicholas & Associates
    Tommy, as Commissioner of the CRFL, thank you and I'll pass your words onto the team and the player's family.
    Reply ·
    · 17 hours ago

Al Raddatz
    Sad story. May God help to ease the pain for his family and friends. May this also remind the players in the league to be conscious of their safety and the safety of all players on the field.
    Reply ·
    · 17 hours ago

Timothy Smith · Top Commenter · Columbus, Ohio
    This is why I don't want my kids playing football. It is too dangerous a sport for children under 18.
    Reply ·
    · 12 hours ago

Ricky Clayton
    very sad, many prayers go out to his family. r.i.p from the cleveland saints...
    Reply ·
    · 14 hours ago

David Geraci
    God bless the friends and family of Mr. Coleman....may he rest in peace!
    Reply ·
    · 14 hours ago

John Wagner · East Lansing High School
    Prayers from all members of CAPITAL CITY STEALTH, R.I.P.
    Reply ·
    · 8 hours ago

Jimmy Fuller · Supervisor - Inventory Control at Nordic Logistics and Warehousing LLC
    my prayers go out to the family during this tragic event GOD Bless.
    Reply ·
    · 16 hours ago

Ohio Bobcats · Ohio University
    Prayers for the family!
    Reply ·
    · 12 hours ago

8. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

What is semi pro? I ask again.
    If you are paid, you are pro.
    If you are not paid, you are not.

Are you semi-paid?

Poor time to bring this up, I realize. RIP to the guy who died, condolences to his family.

But I've never understood the term semi-pro.

9. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

I've always considered "semi-pro" to mean paid - but not paid enough to live on.

Like mill workers who played for the company team and earned a couple extra bucks in a league made up of other mill workers.

10. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  11. Justin Biebler

Justin Biebler Active Member

I've dealt with some of the teams in this part of the state. This is in no way semipro. In fact, I'm with Moddy on the term semipro. These guys don't get paid and in the update story it actually says they pay for a lot of stuff themselves.
    And as sad and tragic as this story is, to have five daughters and no insurance is totally irresponsible. That said, I'll probably write a check to the family's fund because I feel very sad for the children he's left behiind.

12. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

It's a small detail some readers might ask. Some might wonder where did he play high school and what position did he play.

I also expect this type of story will be written someday about a player in an NFL game.

Draft saved Draft deleted