1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Semi-Live: Bob Costas Falling Flat at Technical Conference

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by eyeonsportsmedia, Jan 21, 2008.

1. With apologies to all of you who hate bloggers, I am attending Lotusphere 2008 as an attendee and as credentialed media. I had no idea that there would be a sports media twist to it, so here is a quickie.

Orlando, FL (Jan 21, 2008) - Bob Costas is the surprise guest speaker at Lotusphere 2008 in Orlando this morning. I will not hear his presentation until later, and he is not giving interviews. The reaction is decidedly mixed as his speech is definitely US-centric, although the audience is decidedly international. And it is decidedly split in their reaction to him.

Matt White from the United Kingdom said he had no idea who he was and "I thought it was about the worst keynote I've [ever] seen." Another attendee loved it and has recorded it.

In addition he has apparently made some comments about China that will not go over well. Part of not knowing his audience is that his presentation will be on YouTube very quickly and he will not be able to hide from it, no matter what your view of him is. As soon as it is available I will post it here. I will also be posting pictures from his presentation, with my own take on what he says. I will also be live-blogging his presentation as well.

2. jfs1000

jfs1000 Member

Who shot who in the what now?

Can I get an analysis of what he said? Costas doesn't do interviews? What conference? Why should I care? What is the sports twist? Who are you? Why did I read this?

3. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

I will not read any negative propaganda against Bob Costas.

4. zebracoy

zebracoy Guest

The only thing that bothers me is why the word "ever" is in brackets in that quote.

I don't [ever] understand why [many] people do this [practice].

5. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

That's an excellent point, horse with two colors.

6. Cansportschick

Cansportschick Active Member

I just wanted to say that I "heart" Bob Costas.

7. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

If David Wright, Zack Morris and Shawn Hunter weren't already there, Bob Costas would be my man crush.

8. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

I just Googled to try to figure it out and found this, which should totally clear it up.

"On what he’s going to say about the Olympics? Human rights abuse of Chinese were exposed by the internet….The Chinese took his comments at the 1996 Olympics as representative of the US Government, as the media is controlled by the state in China.. The key question, are these Olympics a postive force to showing the world that they have come a long way, or does it embolden them to be not as happy and productive as the rest of the world. He will time this into his commnents during his intepretation of the Olympics. That is why he is like what Lotus does."

http://www.johnsimonds.com/2008/01/liveblogging-lotusphere-2008/

9. Cansportschick

Cansportschick Active Member

I'll be sure to let Costas know that...just so he can get rid of toilet snakes before you show up at his place. ;D

10. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

Don't worry about it. The law states I can't go within 1,000 feet of Bob Costas. And I respect me some laws.

11. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

That soooo cleared it up. I think Dooleyfish would translate all that as "Bob Costas is short."

And Mike, if you have man-crushes queued up...I think you might wanna start looking at who your girl-crush is. Maybe Judy Garland?

12. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

Oh, Dooles, I've got them, too. Kelly Kapowski and Sarah Silverman. Not like they return my letters or anything. But they're still on the list.

Draft saved Draft deleted