1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Selling photos on the web

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by mustangj17, Jun 29, 2009.

1. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

Does anyone out here know the process their newspaper uses to sell photos through their newspaper web sites?

Our site does not use a program and it has recently come to my attention that this makes way too much work for the photographers, so they jacked up the prices so nobody buys reprints.

At a previous stop, we used MyCapture, but I have no idea how it works.

Anyone out here use a program at their site that does all the dirty work? Specifically people at Gannett papers? I don't want to do anything that goes against company policy but if we start selling more photos maybe I wont have to take furloughs for the next two years.

2. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

There is dot photo. I doubt you'll make much money to stop furloughs.

3. share24

share24 Member

PhotoStockPlus.com

4. UPChip

UPChip Well-Known Member

We use (what I think is) in-house software called CU.

5. bigblueman

bigblueman Member

Our shop uses smugmug.com. We don't make enough to keep furloughs from happening, but at least you are opening up another revenue stream.

FWIW, high school sports photos represent about 97 percent of the sales on our Web site.

Draft saved Draft deleted