1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Selling a rare baseball

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Michael Echan, Sep 13, 2010.

1. Michael Echan

Michael Echan Member

In a bit of a money crunch and I've finally decided to smash the box that says "Break In Case of Emergency." I have this baseball signed by New York Giants, with Mel Ott's signature right on the sweet spot, clear as day. I don't know who some of the other signatures are, or the year (between 1926 and 1947, the years he played). My biggest question is where do I go to find out more information on the ball and, most importantly, how much it's worth?

Any suggestions?

2. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

As they say on Pawn Stars, the easiest thing to fake is sports memorabilia and signatures.
    Get it appraised first. Start with a local card/memorabilia dealer and go from there. Sigs are the big thing. Verify the authenticity,

3. Rumpleforeskin

Rumpleforeskin Active Member

Antiques Roadshow.

4. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Can you read ANY other names? If so, throw them out here (or PM me) and you should be able to narrow down the year pretty quickly.

5. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

I've seen a syndicated column on sports memorabilia, "Babe Waxpak" I think is the name. The writer usually goes through auction houses to get answers on prices.

6. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

My father-in-law has a Jackie Robinson that was given to him when he cared for Robinson in the hospital.

I just get the creeps thinking about dealing with the people that sell memorabilia. Ugh.

That said, Buck, if you get the year narrowed down, I have a buddy who might consider buying it for a decent price.

7. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

If you can actually get on the show. Last I read, about 25,000 people applied for about 4,000 openings to one of their tapings.

8. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

http://www.imperialsports.net/LotDetail.aspx?lotid=54&searchby=0&searchvalue=None&page=0&sortby=0&displayby=2&lotsperpage=50&category=1

9. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

There are some smaller antique shows (not associated with AR) that come to area hotels. We just had one outfit in this area that set up shop for a day at 4-5 different locations.

They'll give appraisals as well as offer to buy some of the stuff.

10. Sports_Scribe

Sports_Scribe Member

Once you find out the names, check on magazines that talk about selling memorabilia. I can't think of the name of the one I usually see, but those will give you a good idea of what the ball goes for.

11. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

From what I've read, antique collectors should NEVER accept an appraisal if it's accompanied by an offer to buy the antique, because, naturally, the potential buyer isn't going to give an honest appraisal.

12. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

I was just thinking of this yesterday evening. And no my sports memorabilia is nowhere near this cool.

I stumbled upon a Michael Vick autographed rookie card. It's a gold foiled card - generally awesome looking.

Had it proffesionally graded and it checked in at 9 out of 10 and was appraised at $250. At the time, I decided not to sell it, hoping Mr. Vick won a Super Bowl. Then he murdered a bunch of dogs and I figured it would never be worth anything.

Then I saw him play yesterday and notice he has some football left in him. If he hits stride and gets back to prominence I am pouncing and selling this card. Of course, I have no idea where to sell it. So if we have any other folks out here with card knowledge, please let me know. I don't collect anymore, nor have I since I was about 14.

Draft saved Draft deleted